My Summer Project

What I did on my summer vacation. :-)

(don't worry, it's safe!)

I call it the Sharn because it's too big for a shed and too small for a barn. 20'x24' with 10' walls.

It's purpose for the time being is to store everything that is now packed like sardines in my garage, and then some. Hopefully this will allow me to have a shop and/or drum room in the garage. Future plan are to run electric out to it so it can become the shop/brewery/bat-cave. :-)

The front looks a little goofy right now. Try to picture a flat, slanted overhang/awning coming down from about soffit-level to the horizontal trim board running above the doors. I'm also still undecided on whether to have a deck-way from the door thresholds to grade, or bring in gravel and fill it.

That transparent section running under the soffit overhang (both sides) was my idea for clerestory windows to allow light into the building and it works very well. They're made from corrugated polycarbonate roof panels.

It's post and beam construction so I can add future windows pretty much anywhere I decide to whenever I determine its actual purpose in life. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

That looks great!

Reply to
G. Ross

On Sunday, November 16, 2014 12:51:23 PM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote: 20'x24' with 10' walls.

Storage space above the ceiling joists, also? My shop has some space up th ere.

Looks good, all 'round. .... Royal green trim?

Eye level windows, so you can see what's going on outside. I like to see w hat's going on outdoors.... and at my home, some good distance, next door. What I don't care for, with my scenario, is someone can, somewhat, also se e what's going on in my shop. This is one reason why I eliminated the fron t door of the shop (originally a rent house), facing the road.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Nice size. I like the idea or allowing natural light in as much as practical. If it is storage only, you may not want windows for security, but if it becomes your shop, it would be nice to be able to see out. Just as e have a window over the kitchen sink, I'd want one over my workbench.

Good luck with it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Built like a woodworker built it. Not bad for a drummer. ;0>

Very well done, Mike. You did good!

Reply to
Swingman

----------------------------------------------- Looking good.

My father built our home after WWII on a foundation of that approximate size.

It was intended to be an oversized garage/shop when the house was built.

Things changed and the house never got built, but that is life.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thanks you, sir. There are certain things I can't do with music playing. Any hammering being high on the list. It can dangerous trying to keep time. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

A friend and mentor of mine, who passed away a couple years ago, built his first house with a hammer and a chainsaw. IIRC, if it was bigger than this, it wasn't by much. I helped him build on to it a couple different times. That's when I discovered the freedom that comes from post and beam construction.

In any case, if I build another house in my lifetime, the outbuilding is going up first. I swore to that after building my first home up in Ohio... when I finished the outbuilding second. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I brought over a bass player to see when the drool was coming out of both sides of his mouth. :-D

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thanks for the nice comments. For those talking about windows... Yes, I want to eventually add windows if this ends up being a shop. The back yard is beautiful with lots of bird and squirrel activity, so I'd love to have a view. I'd also like to get a cross breeze with the garage door.

Reply to
-MIKE-

--------------------------------------------------- If you decide to put in power, do it with solar.

Energy storage improvements are continuing to be made.

Keeps the power company clutter out.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

For ventilation I'd hinge those celestory windows- - -

Reply to
clare

They aren't hinge-able. I was going to put casement windows up there, but this was much more economical for the intended purpose. I do have a full ridge vent and full soffit vents that actually create quite a good convection. Oh, and there's that big garage door, too. :-)

Believe it or not, it stays relatively cool in there. I have 70'+ (?) poplar trees less than 20' to the south that keep it in the shade for most of the day in the hot months. I was very surprised how much lower the temp was in that area when I was building.

Reply to
-MIKE-

We'll see how much more we have to run the E/C now that I've cut down the cherry tree that shaded the west side of the house. Hopefully not too much as the maples are still along the street, not that far from the house

Reply to
clare

It's amazing how much trees shade a home. It's also amazing how much they do to block sound, but that's another topic. :-)

The local electric company came by about every other year to mark the big silver maple in the front yard of the house me just moved from. There was a line going through it from the transformer to the neighbors house. I would sand the mark off the tree every time they did it. Once when they ignored it, I stood out under the tree as they were trimming and waved them off any time they tried to butcher it. I let them prune it, but I wasn't about to let them cut a giant U into it like they did all the way down the street.

I had my neighbors blessing. He was a good 'ol boy who liked the shade as well. He said he'd suffer through a day or two without power to let me keep that shade. Didn't hurt matters that I cleaned out his gutters every year to keep his fat @SS from falling off his ladder. :-D

Reply to
-MIKE-

I read someplace years ago that a good shade tree is equal to a 12,000 BTU air conditioner.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Exactly what I did by not demo'ing the old single car utility room/garage, which is now my shop (once again), when I built the house we now live in.

Having a shop onsite to work in when building the main structure is damned handy when you do some of the work yourself:

Swingman

Looks respectable. Very nice Mike!

Reply to
Leon

Had Kim and I built ourselves we would have built a larger shop first and lived in it until the house was finished... We actually considered building a home inside a large steel building.

Reply to
Leon

"Keep Out" AND "No Trespassing!" It's a shame we need to post signs to tell people not to steal our $h!t. I guess in TX that makes it even more legal to shoot the bast@rd, huh? :-)

Reply to