furnace blows cold air on summer, but does not blow on winter

My furnace keeps lighting the burners while the blower switch is on winter, but the blower never turns on. When I switch the blower to summer, the blower turns on and stays on, but the burners never ignite; so the furnace just blows cold air into the room. I've been reading about thermocouples, but it seems that is not the problem, because the burners actually kick on, just not the blower. The switch doesn't seem defective, because it has different settings when I switch it from summer to winter to off. I know the blower works, because it blows constantly when I put it on summer. I know the burners work because they are almost constantly on when the blower is on winter. It seems to me that I have all the parts of a working furnace, they just don't know how to play nice ; - (

Concerning the thermostat: I had the same problems with the thermostat connected, but I took the wires out and twisted them together to try to get the thing to work this morning.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

Reply to
mystique

There is probably a switch that senses the temp in the heat exchanger and turns on the blower as it warm up. You need to check that switch. It may have temp adjustments for the on and off temp.

Reply to
Bob F

No, you still have one part not working. That is the thermostat that senses the heat and turns the blower on. If you have no idea about it, call a service tech. Tell them the problem and they may bring the part with them. Simple fix.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

or it could be a flame sensor, depending on model.

nate

Reply to
N8N

re: That is the thermostat that senses the heat and turns the blower on.

Are you saying that the thermostat in my living room monitors the heat exchanger temperature and turns on/off the blower?

I'm not sure how it works with a "modern" furnace, but I can say without a doubt that my old furnace had a sensor in the plenum that controlled the blower based on the air temp. You needed the thermostat to call for heat to turn the burners on, but you also needed heat to turn the blower on.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It's inside the furnace.

Reply to
crumbbuma

re: That is the thermostat that senses the heat and turns the blower on.

Are you saying that the thermostat in my living room monitors the heat exchanger temperature and turns on/off the blower?

No

I'm not sure how it works with a "modern" furnace, but I can say without a doubt that my old furnace had a sensor in the plenum that controlled the blower based on the air temp. You needed the thermostat to call for heat to turn the burners on, but you also needed heat to turn the blower on.

Yes, that is the one. There is a thermostatic controlled high/low limit switch that tells the blower to go on or go off. Depending on the model, there may be other controls too but I've not worked on a furnace in recent years and kept up with every control.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The fan limit control turns the fan on and off in furnace applications. Easy to test, easy to repair.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas