60A subpanel question

Am wiring my new unattached shop. Running off a 60A breaker from my main service panel. Supplier has a UF #6 - 3 conductor w/ground which would be the easiest to install. However, I will have a 60ft run with about 45ft above ground and 15ft underground. It will run on top of my rafter joists through my attached garage, down the wall, underground 15ft to my shop, and up into my shop. Bldg inspector said it would be OK to run it on top of my joists without conduit (if it's protected) & buried without conduit. BUT the chart says it's only for use up to 55A. Do I have to go to a #4 conductor to get 60A out to my shop? That's alot of loose wire. And I'd need conduit. Do they make a copper 'triplex' that will allow 60A that doesn't need conduit? I suppose I could use a 50A breaker if I had to. If I could find one.

Reply to
Joel 2

Technically, since 55Amp breakers are not "standard settings" for breakers, you are permitted to use the next higher standard size. (Art. 310-9) Your inspector would have to tell you whether or not he will accept that.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim