Electrical Wiring

Ok need to run electrical wiring underground to 2 outbuildings located on different sides of my lot.

Building A Needs 4 wall outlets, 2 light fixtures and a light switch. Everything should be 110V in this building Just mainly need power for lights but may use other devices once in a while.

Building B Needs 5 wall outlets, 2 light fixtures and a light switch. Needs 1 outlet

220V for air compressor. Needs the 220 for a air compressor, will run power tools (skill saw, misc drills etc....)

Now the way I understand it sounds like I can run a single wire into a junction box inside building B. Is that the case? What size wire will I need for this? For both buildings will I need to place the wire in conduit all the way from the house into the building underground? If so what kind of conduit? Do I need each building on seprate breakers? What breaker(s) size do I need? Do I need 12-2 wire or 14-2 for each of the buildings?

I think I am looking for the outdoor wire located

Bryan Martin

You need to calculate the amperage of all the things you want to use. From your description, it certainly sounds like one 20 amp circuit is going to do it

RBM

Now the way I understand it sounds like I can run a single wire into a junction box inside building B. Is that the case?

You run both phases to a sub panel in bldg 2 then bring off your 220V and

110V branch circuits from that panel using new breakers.

What size wire will I need for this?

Probably 6 gague 3 conductor plus ground jacketed UF if not using a conduit. Seperate pieces of 6 gague if inside a conduit (#12 bare for ground cond). It ultimately depends on the current but #6 is good for at least 60A (table not with me now).

For both buildings will I need to place the wire in conduit all the way from the house into the building underground? If so what kind of conduit?

You can use UF cable or metallic conduit or NM (non metallic conduit) your choice. NM is a good compromise because the glued connections are watertight and easy to make.

Do I need each building on seprate breakers? Yes since each bldg has such different requirements, Bldg A only needs one

20A branch and could be taken off the subpanel in Bldg B if you wanted.

What breaker(s)

Forget 14-2 its only good for 15A which is only good for lighting. #12-2 is good for 20A and is better suited to a workshop especially if you might use a small space heater.

Buy a copy of code check electrical, it has the answers you need. Wiring a House by Peter Hemp is also an excellent book.

Reply to
PipeDown

Unlike some of the others, I would suggest what may look like overkill, but could save some rewireing later if your needs change.

For each building run 220 with 4 conductors, hot, hot, neutral & ground. I would suggest 30 amp with #10 or #8 wires. Put a subpanel in each building, and pull what you need from the subpanel. Make the subpanel breakers 15 amp and use #14 or #12 wire.

Bldg A, split the outlets between the 2 halfs of the 220. If the 2 lights will have one switch, either don't split them or use 2 switches next to each other and split the lights. I am not sure, but I think you can get a DPST switch to control 2 light circuts with a single switch.

Bldg B similarly and add the 220 circut with appropriate breakers and wire sizes.

This way, if you have a short on a 120 circut, you still have half your lights & outlets.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

The one building that only needs a few lights and 120 volt outlets can be fed with a single 20 amp circuit, UF or Pipe or PVC. The other building, depending upon your calculated load will require a larger feeder and subpanel in that building, as well as ground rods for the sub panel. If it is easier, you could feed the other building from the one with the sub panel

RBM

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will check into the way you describe.

Bryan

Bryan Martin

Thanks for the info. Really though 1 of the building's is going to do nothing but house play toys (couple of 4 wheelers, dirt bike, lawn mower and lawn garden stuff) and a few house hold tubs full of junk. The other building though that I am wanting the 220 to will hold my tools and work bench.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan Martin

erminal on each 3-