60A Subpanel

I have a 60A subpanel in my workshop that is fed from a 200A Load Center in my Basement. The basement breaker box has 2 Single Pole 30A Breakers(Both on the right leg, right next to each other that feed the 60A subpanel. I am just wondering, shouldn't I be using a 60A Double pole instead of the 30A single pole breakers? I do have a 220 Outlet in my workshop but I rarely use it.

Thanks in Advance,

-a12vman

Reply to
a12vman

What looks like 2 30A breakers in parallel might actually be one for each phase -- unless you've looked at how the bus bar is configured, or can see them strapped together downstream.

Reply to
CJT

Reply to
RBM

yes...you should be using a 60 amp breaker....double pole

the question is this....is the wire running to the 60 amp workshop panel large enough to support the 60 amp breaker....just because a panel is rated at 60 amps doesnt neccesarilly mean that it is wired for

60 amps....size your breakers to the wire...
Reply to
cornytheclown

in the USA based on buffalo ny: there may simply be a broken or missing linking bar here. but the answer lies under the cover panel and within the 220vac outlet. so first with an emergency rescue crew standing by and both hands in your pockets have your electrician measure with his multimeter set for ac the 220 volts across the outlet in the workshop. hot to other hot = 220. hot to common = 110vac. the other hot to common = 110vac. if all true then you have 220vac working in the workshop. but since the various desired amperages are configured by the appliance's shape and pins of the plug, we don't know all the history here. there are possible variations in the use of the outlet since this was wired, including possible 110v use from the outlet with an adapter of a device rated at only 30 amps. it may also be possible the original 220 breaker was replaced in an emergency. the wire sizes and their length will determine the amperage. the breakers will limit the power to protect the wires and device. please see

buffalobill