Multi-purpose hand tools worth getting?

Trying to put together a small toolbox for making small to medium- sized boxes.

I'd like to be efficient in terms of space / functionality, so ask:

``What multi-purpose wood-working tools are actually worth getting and putting in a tool Kit intended for making small=97medium-sized boxes?''

w/ a corollary of:

``What tools are only useful in single-purpose form?

Things which are in:

multi-purpose:

- gunsmithing hammer - 3-in-1 Brass Marking Gauge - reproduction #1 Odd-Job (or a combination square=97- I=92d be interested in discussions as to why I=92d prefer one over the other) - Veritas=AE Chisel Plane and a 1=94 chisel - Kreg KMA2900 Multi-Mark Multi-Purpose Marking and Measuring Tool instead of a sliding bevel? - yankee screwdriver for drilling holes / driving, or a set of gimlets - combination plane - jack plane w/ 2 blades (cambered for scrub / rough work and flat for fine work)

and I always have a Leatherman P.S.T. w/ me.

single-function:

- a block plane (Lee Valley Skew) was suggested last time I discussed this - router plane - files (flat and half round), - a rasp as well (four-in-hand) - Marking knife. - Dividers / scribe. - oil & stones for sharpening

considering:

- Reciprocating Saw Blade & Screwdriver Handle but the screwdriving is redundant. Suggestions for a small, portable saw or set of saws?

Ridiculous and won't be included (I'd appreciate warnings of more such as well):

- combination rasp / wood chisel

I want small, elegant & clever. Thanks!

Wiliam

Reply to
willadams

Seems like you have been around the block. Recommend a good catalog like Lie-Neilsen or Veritas. "Actually worth getting" is vague. Worth getting for what? Suggest you get what you need for your next project.

Have fun, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Sounds more like a quick recommendation for a last minute Christmas gift for someone else.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

If so, a set of "scrapers" may satisfy the "small and elegant" requirement. But for small boxes, maybe one is enough.

Reply to
Bill

---------------------------------------- This close to Christmas, some Benjamin(s).

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"William F. Adams ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g6g2000vbk.googlegroups.com:

Those 6-in-1 handheld screwdrivers are very useful and efficient in space and functionality. During pool setup/winterizing, I carry one in my pocket as it will turn everything I need. That's not only all the mounting hardware, but the hose clamps and even drain plug.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

ll toolbox for making small to medium-

Making small--medium-sized boxes.

That's a separate list (if you're curious, it's a small magnetic saw guide w/ saw --- want a better way to cut boxes apart, and a Veritas miniature router plane --- want a nicer one for hinge installation).

This is the project after that --- I want a small tool box (or chest) filled w/ good quality tools which is usable for small--medium projects and as much else as is possible. It'll be matched up w/ a portable work bench and some folding saw horses --- my workbench is one end of a tiny basement laundry room and I like to work on the back deck, so my goal here is to minimize trips up / down the stairs.

William

Reply to
willadams

Bite your tongue, Bill.

There can -never- be too many clamps or too many scrapers.

-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 12/24/2012 9:23 AM, William F. Adams ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com) wrote: ...

Well, everybody's view of what is "small--medium" varies as well as what is on the project list horizon. You've mentioned boxes but again that's such a generic classification as to be almost meaningless in tool selection. All depends on what techniques you use and/or consider using...

I'd think you would already know what you use most (both techniques and tools) and that finding a minimalist set of tools that fulfills the need would simply be going through that list.

Then, once you have that, then going through it again w/ the idea of finding multi-use stuff to pare down the number would be possibility I guess...or, if the toolset is going to override the techniques, then select that and make the work fit them (a most dissatisfying way to work I'd think, but then again, all depends on personal tastes and objectives).

--

Reply to
dpb

I have a 4 in 1 and a 6 in 1 that I use all the time. Not only are the flat, phillips, and square drive bits right there, but the slots to hold the bits are 1/4" and 5/16" which are very common nuts.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'd make a suitable tool-tote that holds what you regularly carry up and down the stairs. I have a separate one for "electrical tools" for instance,and two for working on machinery (sockets, screwdrivers, etc.)--one English, and one metric (segregating the socket/wrench sets made me a happier person!)

Bill in IN

Reply to
Bill

Too useful to have just one. I have dozens of smaller scrapers, each with various molding profiles filed into the edges. Best "table top" scraper I've ever seen was my c.1890 26" George Bishop crosscut saw after I jointed the teeth back prior to retoothing it for rip. Just for laughs, I passed a burnisher over it. Actually took a decent burr. Ever seen a 24" wide scraper shaving?

Reply to
Father Haskell

snipped-for-privacy@g6g2000vbk.googlegroups.com:

Thanks! That's the sort of endorsement I was looking for.

Reply to
willadams