Multi-tools (again)

I've got a couple of jobs coming up that feel like they would be the excuse to buy an oscillating multi-tool: cutting-out areas of plaster board and a section of chipboard flooring. There's a wide choice of manufacturers; I'm tempted by the Bosch (based on a, probably flawed, impression of being a mid-range price/performance balance) but would prefer to buy based on other's experience. Any recommendations?

Also, what jobs do you find these things useful for?

Reply to
unknown

In message , unknown writes

I have the Green Bosch. I have no comparison to judge the performance John Rumm said recently that the motion is actually a tiny circle and I wonder if something with more mass might get more work done.

Anywhere you can't get with a conventional saw:-) Undercutting door architrave most commonly. I wouldn't attempt more than

1m of skirting. The supplied soft wood saw component quickly blunts but can be rejuvenated with a triangular Swiss file. The abrasive disc will attack hard grout but it is a slow job.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

+1 for the Bosch although I suspect it doesn't offer anything over the Aldi/Lidl.

I'd have said cutting a metre was fairly heroic. They are brilliant for cutting small rectangular holes through the back of fitted worktop or between kitchen units, or through floorboards without taking them up if you need to run phone or Cat 5 cable in trunking down a wall. OK as a detail sander too.

Reply to
newshound

Shaping wood when the desired result is a funny shape. Cutting holes in plaster board for elec fitments. Cutting holes in plywood. Cutting mortice holes (do the sides then gently break off the peg with a screwdriver, then finish with the multitool). Cutting protruding screws and bolts off flush (I also use a dremmel with a thin blade for this, depending on access). Trimming the ends of things like shelves that don't quite fit the wiggly wall so they do fit. Cutting funny-shaped holes in aluminium sheet to fit components. Getting floorboards up. Shaping plastic sheet and cutting odd-shaped holes in it for a display unit. Trimming the bottom of the legs of a ramp to compensate for ground movement without taking the whole damned thing apart. Cutting slots with rounded ends in a sheet of very tough wetroom boarding that I had nicked to make a distribution board out of. Sanding. Making rectangular holes in thick rubber (had to clamp it very tight between two boards). Entertaining an 11 year old (the tool is very safe to use).

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

So have I + I agree.

Very heroic :-)

Great as a sander, but the velco wears down at a rate of knots. Bosch lades are a ludicrous price, check out Saxton et al.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So have I + I agree.

Very heroic :-)

Great as a sander, but the velco wears down at a rate of knots. Bosch lades are a ludicrous price, check out Saxton et al.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They are generally only really good for where no other tool will do - as they are quite slow and expensive on blades. I'd not bother with one for cutting holes in plasterboard - a hand pad saw does that easily. Where mine was invaluable was cutting the bottom off architraves to allow a wood floor to go under them. I'd not bother with one for any floorboard cutting either - I use a jigsaw with shortened blade for that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

  • yup done most of those
  • raking out old grouting, and then rasping away residual adhesive before replacing a tile.

Cutting new recess for an electrical socket through existing tiles.

Cutting through tiles to fit a new shower valve.

plunge cutting through one pipe of many in a bunch without damaging the others.

Cutting floor boards with a very narrow kerf at a 45 degree angle, so that the section replaced can still be supported by the adjacent board even when there is no joist below.

Removing silicone sealant from joints.

Reply to
John Rumm

Similarly, cutting skirting board in situ - e.g. cutting at 45 degrees (in plan view) either side of a doorway which has just been bricked up, so as to dovetail a new piece in.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Drop the speed, reduce the pressure and the velcro pads last for ages - at least they do on a Fein Multimaster.

Reply to
The Other Mike

But alas not on the Bosch.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I am still on my original backing pads that came with the multimaster. However I did nearly knacker one by being too heavy on it - the moment you get them too hot, they start to lose their ability to hold the velcro backing on the paper.

They are remarkably effective at sanding (far more so than a "normal" orbital delta sander), but you do need to go easy on them for best results.

Reply to
John Rumm

My Aldi one has done sterling service.

Not that it creates much dust but the new version has better extraction:

The old version had a separate hood that had to be fitted round the spindle.

Reply to
mike

I've got through half a dozen in a couple of years

Agreed, but I've gone back to a normal one due to the high cost of the pads.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As most of us have only ever bought *one*, we aren't able to make comparisons.

I've got the original model Fein, which is tough as old boots.

As most people have said, it's useful for those *odd* jobs that aren't easily tackled in other ways.

At some point I might supplement this with a cordless - probably the Bosch 10.8V, as I've already got batteries/charger.

Quick release blade-change also nice, but I think that's universal now.

Reply to
dom

Actually not on the makita, still an allen key for that, but I already had the batteries and several other tools to use them ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It is - a delight to use like all decent tools.

I bought an Aldi cordless recently for those odd quick jobs it suits. Sadly, different blades from the Fein. Despite the battery pack looking tiny, it lasts long enough for what I want. Not quick release, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine has to be the least useful power tool in my collection. Even the 50 year old drill gets used more often.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If you changed that 'useful' to 'used' I might agree with you. But for certain tasks they're invaluable. It could be you've never needed it for one such - yet.

I'd not bother with one if all you intend doing is cutting floorboards, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Agreed. I prolly use mine once or twice a month - but when I do it's a lifesaver.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman