Multi Master Tool

Has any of you guys tried this tool? I tried to view it at

but my webtv would not let me in. I did see it on tv but I did not see a price.. I thought some of you guys might know somthing about it. Thanks a head of time, for your input. Tom

Reply to
Tom M

If you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it. Seriously.

Reply to
Toller

Reply to
Karl

The web site, with that heavy QVC-style marketing message, is a real turn-off, but the tool is for real.

I have one and I've found a variety of uses for it, to do things that I can't imagine being able to do with any other sort of tool that I've found on the woodworking tool web sites. As a detail sander, to get into places that a sanding block or an orbital sander can't get into, it's invaluable. There are other single-purpose tools that are less expensive, but the Multimaster does it all, or at least a hell of a lot. Go somewhere else besides that site and look at it:

Go to Woodcraft and read it about it there:

to the Fein site itself and read about it there:
tools are good stuff. The thing is that you wouldn't be using a tool like this every day, but for the troublesome things that nothing else seems to handle, this is the one that you reach for. And there are tons of special accessories that aren't in the basic kit to handle lots of other sorts of problems.

'Taint cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Regards, Tom Dacon

Reply to
Tom Dacon

A rare case when a TV-ad wundertool actually does everything they say it does.

It's a very good detail sander, generally rated second only to the Festool, and its sawing capabilities are unique--it can for example cut nails off flush to a surface or cut between two boards with minimal damage to either. And that leaves aside all the rest of the stuff it can do. It's also the safest saw that you're going to find--you can put your finger on the blade teeth with it running and nothing happens.

It's made with typical German quality which is to say it's built like an armored personnel carrier (I would say "built like a tank" but that's the heavy-duty version)

It's not the first tool I think of when I start out on a project, but it is the one that I'm glad I have when I screw something up.

It does have weaknesses--the major one is that most of the accessories are quite expensive--get the XL/Top kit (in some places it's called "XL" in others "Top" and you'll save quite a lot over getting the contents separately.

Profile sanding (different from detail sanding) is so-so--among other things the selection of profiles is very limited. If that is your main need then in my experience a set of Tadpole sanders for 20 bucks (go to and search on "tadpole") will do better than any powered sander.

If it does something that you need done then I recommend it highly.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You can buy it at many reputable places for about $300. Its a great tool.

Reply to
Leon

I hummed and hawed for a loooong time before I plopped down the money. Now I spend my time slapping my forehead and asking myself why I haven't done that sooner. The more you use it, the more you figure out uses for it. A brilliant 'must-have' tool.

Robatoy

it's a great tool. but don't buy it there- go to a local brick and mortar store and buy it from them.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Thanks Guys. I do remodeling and I see that if it really does do all that they show on thier little tv ad, then it would be really handy to have one. I liked the way it cut off the bottom of the door jambs and cuts the baseboard off without damage to the wall or floor. I live in Tex. and have never seen anything like it till now. I guess I will go looking around first chance I get for one.. Thanks again Tom

Reply to
Tom M

Then you need one.

I have one and I'm in two minds about it. It's great at what it does, but it's not a huge amount of use for new-build in a workshop. Out on site though, it's superb. If you work with tile (setting, or running services through them) then it's even better.

Get the "Top" kit, as you need the accesories and this is the cheap way to buy them.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That would explain it. *G,D & R*

Reply to
Robatoy

If you live in or near a large city, Rockler and or Woodcraft sell the Multimaster.

Or from the internet,

Leon

ITS A MUST HAVE FOR ME!

We use the Multi Master in our home repair business as well as our vintage trailer restoration business. I waited until I could try one before buying. I played with one in my local woodworking store for less than two minutes and bought it. Very impressive.

cm

CM

I am a sucker for gadgets but this is no gadget despite the hokey TV promotion. I've been using a Multimaster almost daily for years. It is probably the single most fantastic tool I have ever owned. I am constantly finding new uses for its accessories. After hundreds of hours mine is now becoming a little sluggish so I am sending it off for repairs--probably needs new brushes. The only downside is that the accessories are outrageously expensive. Hell they could give the tool away and still make a fortune with their accessory prices. It won't be too long before someone gets the idea of making accessories in the Far East and maybe their pricing wil become more realistic. . There are a lot of industries that use this tool in manufacturing. Fein makes a special heavy-duty model for flooring installers, among others.

Reply to
Joe Bleau

It

Klingspor already sells a Multimaster clone with several of the attachments available separately.

?item=PX28900&qtyA=0&phsO=N&desc=PROXXON%20HIGH%20SPEED%20STEEL%20SAW%20BLADE&drpshp=N&alOrd=Y&iQty=.000&oQty=.000&initQty=1&assortParent=N&itemForSale=Y&styleName=&fixD=&face=.00&gftc=&stck=Y&prefS=&calledFrom=DS&ordInfo1=&ordInfo2=&ordInfo3=&ordMan1=N&ordMan2=N&ordMan3=N&persCode=&persReqd=&persLink=%20&shipRemaining=0&daysBetween=0&daysBetweenFix=0&monthsBetween=0

Reply to
Leon

Those links get you to the Klingspor main page, not to a product page.

It appears that you're looking at the Proxxon OZI 115/E, which is a German tool aimed at a somewhat different market from the Multimaster, hardly a Far East knockoff. Proxxon specializes in miniature tools for model makers and the like and for that purpose their tools are reputed to be quite good. But if you compare that tool with the Multimaster you'll find that it is smaller overall, the sanding pads are smaller, the saw blades are the same size as the smaller of the two sizes for the Multimaster, and the Proxxon is a lower-speed tool, running 10,000 RPM instead of 21,000. Take a look at the other Proxxon tools on the Klingspor site and you'll get an idea of the target market--for example they have a dandy little drill press that will fit in a large coat pocket.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yeah I see that now.

Yeah, I was more indicating that there is a similar tool to the Multimaster that you could perhaps substitute some accessories at a reduced price.

Reply to
Leon

Apart from that tricky "Not working for anything bigger than a dolls' house" problem that you get with all the (nicely made) Proxxon kit.

The site you list makes the mistake of listing the Multimaster along with the detail sanders. Well, I don't need to spend $300 on a "detail sander" no matter how good it is (Multimaster isn't even a very good one, owing to awkward pads). The difference is that the Multimaster _also_ does other things, particularly sawing awkward things in places you can barely reach. Fasten the same blades to a good "detail sander" though and nothing happens. That's the difference.

There are Multimaster equivalents -- You can buy them from dealers in surgical equipment. Find a surplus one and it can even be cheaper than a Multimaster. I saw ivory and bone with such a bonesaw blade, fitted to my Multimaster. Handy for those little dinners "=E1 la Hannibal" too. 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Jan 25, 12:36 pm, "Andy Dingley" wrote: Handy for those little dinners "=E1 la Hannibal" too.

Will open a can of fava beans and uncork a chianti?

Reply to
Robatoy