mubango?

A lumberyard has mubango for $2/bf. Anyone tried this?

(In a post below I referred to "African Cherry". Since the lumberyard also has makore, for a much higher price, I presume they have both.)

Reply to
toller

I have worked with mubangu on several pieces. I find it works well, and is showing as quite durable. I was able to find some information on the web prior to purchasing it, seems like a relatively dense, nice hardwood.

The only thing I have had any problem with is some of the grain seems to be quite prone to tearout, but not hard to work around.

Reply to
Tattooed and Dusty

What does it look like? The only picture I found was like butternut, but it probably wasn't accurate. Thanks.

Reply to
toller

It's dark in color, with very distinct vertical grain. The info I found online refered to it as african teak, which I doubt means it has any relation, but it does to me appear to be quite similar in appearance to me.

Reply to
Tattooed and Dusty

If anyone knows where I can find this lumber, i.e. "African cherry" which is marketed under a number of different names (most commonly makore) at anywhere near $2.00 BF I would really appreciate knowing where. I have been looking everywhere for it but the prices I am finding are outrageous.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bleau

I am going to have a look at it next week. If it is decent, I will post the link.

Reply to
toller