Mortising Survey

: Luigi Zanasi wrote: :> I use mortice for the noun & mortise for the verb, on the advice/advise :> model.

: What about pronunciation? Do you use a "mor-tize-ing" chisel to cut a : "mor-tis"? :) Please "ad-vize".

Or, along the lines of choice/choose, should I mortoose my mortices :) ?

Norm

Reply to
Norman Wood

You forgot my way: drill press out waste with forstner bit and chisel out remaining waste. I'd rather pound them out by hand with a mortise chisel but I don't think my downstairs neighbor would appreciate that. :-)

Layne

Reply to
Anonymous

========================= I had to laugh at getting a lession on the English Language from a guy named Luigi....

BUT if anyone needs at least 100 such lessions .. I'm the guy...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

By hand with a mortise chisel and a swan-necked chisel for clean up.

I don't drill out first, but instead use the method descibed on Jeff Gorman's (excellent) website.

why? 'cos I don't cut a high volume by many folk's standards around here, and because I'm enjoying honing the technique.

For tenons I cheat a little, cut the shoulders first, and remove to thickness using a router and a quick'n'dirty mdf jig. Mostly because I don't own a decent tenon saw yet.

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Vince Heuring wrote in news:150920031354436813% snipped-for-privacy@dimensional.com:

Hand chiseled for the small one-offs. Drill press followed with chisels to clean for repetitive cuts. Own a router, but haven't even cranked it up yet. I always seem to do the work with a hand tool or other method so far.

Table saw and occasional handsaw for the tenons. Cleanup with a sharp knife for fit (I tend to make them a little large so I can trim down for a very TIGHT fit) and a small plane I picked up somewhere once.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Doh

The what is a drill press and cleanup with chisels. Tenons on the bandsaw.

The why is that is what I had to work with.

To clarify, I built a Tudor style garden bench with about 50 M & T joints. It was, for me, quite an undertaking as I've never done that type of joint. It gives new respect for the guys that make such beautiful joints, especially the neander way.

If I was to do it again, I'd probably invest in a dedicated mortising machine and a tenon fixture for the table saw. That works out to about $7 a joint for that project. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks for the tip! Bought 1 today.

Reply to