Mortising Survey Results

Here are the results of my asking:

I'm just beginning to make M&T joints, and I've seen at least 3-4 general ways

to mill mortices:

What kind do *you* use, and why?

And the results are:

Dedicated Mortising Machine: 5 Router plus corner cleanout: 4 By hand, using chisels:1 Drill press, Forstner bits, and chisels: 6 Floating Tenons: 2 All of the above depending on the job: 2

Thanks all for your replies. I'm looking hard at the Shop Fox...

Reply to
Vince Heuring

Have you taken a close look at these machines side by side? YMMV, as they say, but I did a comparison between the Jet, Delta and Shop Fox at the woodworking show last year. The Shop Fox _looked_ real good because of the fit and finish, but a close comparison of the working parts convinced me the Delta is a beefier machine. I have since purchased the Delta and it has more than lived up to my expectations. The dovetail gib for the head is hell for stout on the Delta, should be a big consideration on a machine of this type, and was not matched in the other machines at the time.

Disclaimer: I quit looking after buying one ... so if Delta has a "new" X-5 model, all bets are off without further comparison.

Reply to
Swingman