Woodworking Show in Milwaukee this weekend

I'm heading over there tomorrow but in case anyone in the area doesn't know, there's a Woodworking show this weekend at State Fair Park...

Mr B

Yes, they already confiscated $500 of my hard earned cash Friday afternoon. Gotta' get a better clamp for that wallet.

Bought the Incra LS Router Table Fence w/Wonder Fence - Price was about $50-$90 better than what I've seen anywhere else. Gotta chance to see the Jointech demo and Incra demo, Jointech guy seemed like too much of a "salesman" type, and liked to rip Incra (not by name of course). Kind of turned me off, plus most of his knocks on Incra were not true.

Picked up a Boeshield 3-pack, Bench Dog featherboard 2-pack, t-track for router table (under construction), and a couple other knick-knacks.

The biggest crowd was for a logosol chain saw mill. The guy doing the demo was pretty entertaining, could move around 500 pound logs with just a couple hand tools. For some reason people were fighting over the bark scraps he took off with the first cut and gave away.

Don't forget to hit the 3-M booth for free samples of their latest abrasives.

Joe

there's a Woodworking

Reply to
BIG JOE

They swiped a coupla hunnert bucks from me too. This was my first woodworking show. Got a coupla freud TS blades, .1 micron dust bag, a couple of Grr-Rippers, my own copy of "router magic" and a bunch of little things that really added up!

Was tempted to get a Jet Mini lathe (179) but managed to talk myself out of it cause I don't have the space even for something that small!

I'm glad I walked away before I thought about too many things that I'd never seen before but absolutely had to have!

John

Reply to
JohnT.

Went with all the intentions of buying a Porter-Capable

3" X 21" belt sander. Only found one and it was at about what Home Depot wanted for the same machine (more than Amazon wanted). I left without it. I think I'll go to Elliot's and give them my cash.

Otherwise, a good show and a good time seem to being had by all.

UA100, who did get to hang with Jeff Thunder for the remainder of the day...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I took a long hard look at the new DeWalt 3"x21" that they claim has the largest contact area of any 3x21. I don't have a belt sander yet, and this thing came with a neat little stand to make it into a benchtop unit. I wasn't sure if $195 was a good price, since I hadn't shopped it before.

I thought DeWalt's price on the new 2-speed planer seemed awfully low, unless they've come way down since it's introduction.

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

Yo, despite the restaurant of choice having gone TU 2 months ago. Who knew? We thought it was a gold mine. I came away with a bag of supplies and a new appreciation for MiniMax bandsaws, as presented by Mark Duginske. Wotta hunk of iron. (The saw, not Duginske, who looks like a prospector just back from

3 months in the desert.) Best thing I carried home was a group of little fittings for the '57 Rockwell-Delta jointer, the Rocket 88, courtesy of Mr. Bohn. Some of them appear to be unobtanium. Thank you again, sir.

And the usual crew. Funny, Jeff seemed shorter than the last time I saw him.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Now wait a minute, I wasn't even there!!

Reply to
Jeff P.

I checked out the website, printed the discount coupons, was even over at the Pettit this morning. Didn't go.

From the web, it looks like it's all normite, nothing for neanders. True? It looks like the power-toolers are having a great time.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Well... Yeah, I suppose you could say that but I'm wondering if it wasn't the same old proportions of what you see in the catalogs and retail stores? To tell you the truth, I was only rubber necking for the 3" X 21" sander, didn't pay as close attention to things as I really should have, thought that the show pretty much looked like a clone of the year before, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before(1).

To tell you the truth, I'm semi-tempted to go back (I have my hand stamp) and looking at the show from another perspective.

(1) Not meant to be a rant. I really did enjoy myself but I was also lucky enough to be with a (what's the word for a group when associated with wooddorkers?). There was a thing or two that was new and worth seeing in the wild/close up.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Ahhh, a different Jeff, Jeff.

UA100, who suddenly realizes, he knows a number of Jeffs...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

"A cloud of Wooddorkers." "A pile of Wooddorkers." "A gaggle of Wooddorkers." "A google of Wooddorkers." "A puddle of Wooddorkers." "A stack of Wooddorkers." "A pride of Wooddorkers." "A flock of Wooddorkers." "A flocking big cloud of Wooddorkers." "A shrewdness of Wooddorkers." "A gang of Wooddorkers." "A herd of Wooddorkers." "A tribe of Wooddorkers." "A troop of Wooddorkers." "A cackle of Wooddorkers." "A mess o' Wooddorkers." "A team of Wooddorkers." "A prickle of Wooddorkers." "A colony of Wooddorkers." "A pod of Wooddorkers." "A pack of Wooddorkers." "A bevy of Wooddorkers." "A flight of Wooddorkers." "A shitload of Wooddorkers." "A brood of Wooddorkers." "A clutch of Wooddorkers." "A clutter of Wooddorkers." "A drove of Wooddorkers." "A litter of Wooddorkers." "A party of Wooddorkers." "A whole pisspot full of Wooddorkers. "A covey of Wooddorkers." "A host of Wooddorkers." "An army of Wooddorkers." "A mob of Wooddorkers." "A band of Wooddorkers." "A school of Wooddorkers." "A plague of Wooddorkers." "A swarm of Wooddorkers."

"A knot of Wooddorkers."

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

Thanks Tom. I am printing out your list and taking it with me to the wooddorker's show today. Perhaps being in the wild with others of the species will jag something and thus reveal the true/best word.

UA100, off to do field research...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Hokay, back from the show and the only inspiration there was,

A Hat of Wooddorkers

In reality there weren't "that" many hats and in truth, with this being Mahwaukee it's more appropriate to say,

A Camo of Wooddorkers

but that lacks any connection to woodworking.

In the mean time, and during the drive to the show, I did think of another.

A Shop of Wooddorkers.

St. Soozan hit the trifecta with,

A Cord of Wooddorkers An Obsession of Wooddorkers

and, her favorite,

A Talent of Woodworkers.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

The missus accidentally brought home fully-caffeinated coffee again, didn't she, Tawm?

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:11:57 -0500, Tom Watson brought forth from the murky depths:

--snip--

There ya go. We're a bunch of weird birds so "covey" fits well.

"School" works well for this fishy lot, too.

----------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!

Wondrous Website Design =================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 23 Feb 2004 05:05:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@myoffice.math.niu.edu (Jeffrey Thunder) brought forth from the murky depths:

--snip of your usual party animal antics-- (shades of my past!)

Was it protected with Slip-It, TopCote, or Johnson's? How'd the drool fare?

Did Keith make passes at them, too?

That's always fun, isn't it? Congrats on that.

So you'll be as high as they are? Got it. Carry on, Jeffwy.

-- If it weren't for jumping to conclusions some of us wouldn't get any exercise.

- Jump-free website programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It was good seeing you again Jeff, if only for a short while. You'll be happy to know that I made it home without too much trouble. Once Guido and Rocco heard about your glory wagon, the only thing they asked of me was your address.

I thought I'd throw them off a bit by telling them you like to dress in feather boas, sequins, and platform shoes. But instead of disgust, Rocco just had a sly little grin on his face. He was mumbling something like "it'll remind me of Joliet", and then he kept yelping "PURPLE!!!" - over and over again. Whatever that means...

Next thing I know, they spot me a twenty for cab fare and I hightail it outta there. Picked up some MD20/20, went back to the club and found Bahb - still drooling. Helped him finish the last of the pills and washed them down with the leftover Mad Dog. Dunno how I got home, but I awoke the next day to my wife scraping me off the garage floor.

I'll never do that again!!!

Until next year, that is!

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

He did thankfully leave out the part with the gladiators.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

The damp portion was nekkid aluminum.

He's trying to be cool about the show, but he was on the floor with a couple of the saleman.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:51:32 -0600, "Bob Schmall" brought forth from the murky depths:

So how was it protected from the doubly dastardly effects of drool corrosion and oxidation? Anodize? Wax?

Got it.