Festool's DOMINO - A Euro Plot

One of the many consequences of Globalization is that the American Consumer is encountering, and sometimes forced to deal with, THE METRIC SYSTEM! It's a Euro Plot I tell you. And I'm certain it's the French who are behind the plot. How they got the Germans to participate in their Evil Scheme remains a mystery, given the two countries' history of MAJOR conflicts.

I first encountered The Evil Scheme when I bought a Robland X-31 combination machine - made in ( wait for it ) --- Belgium! Laguna Tools, the U.S.A. distributor managed to disquise the Evil Scheme by putting an "imperial" (read "inches") tape on the rip fence and cross cut fence. Only when trying to fit an "imperial" allen wrench into a Metric allen head bolt or set screw did I become aware that "something is different" - and only on certain sizes 8mm being close enough to 1/4" and a 250 mm diameter blade is too close to 10" to notice. A minor irritation, not requiring any mental math to make the conversions back and forth - and metric allen wrench sets are cheap - now.

They (the Euro folks) snuck 8mm collets and metric screws, nuts and bolts into the U.S.A. woodworking power tools market. But they were subtle about it.

But now - with the FESTOOL INVASION - the folks behind the Evil Scheme are blatantly coming out from behind the curtain (think Wizard of Oz, not The Iron Curtain). These Metric Evangelicals are going to give the Christian Evangelicals a lesson in how to be evangelical. The Metric Evangelicals have tangible - see for yourself - objective, measurable facts, rather than mere "faith", to support their claims of Metric Superiority.

To support my hypothesis I give you the Festool DOMINO. EVERYTHING IS METRIC - and it's printed right on all the controls! They took our beloved mortising machines and router jigs, and our hallowed biscuit joiner - and COMBINED THEM INTO ONE HAND HELD POWER TOOL! Not only that, but they made it easier and quicker to do functions of both of our "old favorites" - along with some things our "old favorites" can't do.

You can cut mortises of various widths, depths, thicknesses and offset from a reference edge, face or end - in side, face or end grain - with the flick of a switch or lever, and maybe a quick and easy bit change - AND with the speed and convenience of a biscuit joiner, albeit one on STEROIDS.

But The Devil Is In The Details.

The first detail is the mental gymnastics involved with thinking in millimeters rather than the old familiar, sixteenths, eighths, quarters and halfs - as well as whole inches. QUICK - hold your thumb and finger

16 millimeters apart. OK, what familiar fraction of an inch is closest to 19 millimeters? (3/4")

The second detail is the apparent simplicity of the options.

Four different "bits" that look sort of like a spiral router bit or an end mill - 'til you examine the grind on the end.

- 5, 6, 8 and 10 mm diameter bits -

Add a little stair steps looking "distance from reference face offset to the centerline of the mortise - with steps printed in white letters in millimeters

- 16, 20, 22, 25, 28, 36 and 40 mm

Then there's a selector nob on top with three positions that determine the width of the mortise WITHOUT the diameter of the bit you're using. When you actually examine (not just glance at) the manual you find that the three positions are for

- 13, 19 and 23 millimeters - PLUS the diameter of the bit being used

There's also a little Flip This Up, Push That Foreward and the spring loading will pop IT foreward and click IT into one of FIVE positions

- 12, 15, 20, 25 and 28 millimeters depth of mortise

Thankfully, the fence angle is Degrees - no metric conversion required as it has detentes at 0, 22.5, 45, 67.5 and 90 degrees. Why

22.5 and 67.5 degrees I'll worry about later.

Now if you had Permutations and Combinations in some math class somewhere in your past, or for some of us, in our DISTANT past, you begin to see the built in - preset - possibilities

- 4 bit diameters (see how they sneak meters into words we are familiar with?)

- 5 depth of mortise

- 3 mortise widths LESS one of four bit diameters (there it is again - meters!)

- 7 offsets from a reference face, edge or end MINUS half the diameter (they did it again) of one of four bits.

4 x 5 x (3x4) x (7x4) = ? : ready for this? : 5,040 different combinations - all in METRIC. (and that's without any fence angles or "stops" distances (more about the latter another time).

There are things about metric that are good - going 105 Km/Hr sounds a lot faster than a mere 65 mph. A 250 mm table saw blade sounds more Tool Time BIG than ten inches. Metric just makes things seem FASTER/BIGGER (Don't even think about saying it. OK - you thought it

- just don't say it!).

Because I see things in "imperial" mental images, I'm doing a bunch of tables and charts and scale drawings of what all this metric stuff the DOMINO uses "looks like". And when I think I understand what on the DOMINO does what - and how wide, how deep, how long and how far from - THEN I'll make a bunch of real world samples and label them (fence offset, bit diamter, plunge depth, mortise widith selector switch position - until it all becomes second nature to me, or I die first.

And speaking of Death - have you been

- Born Again?

You ain't gonna get inta heaven 'til ya unerstand METRIC.

Come on down tuh da shop and I'll make ya a BELIEVER. Never to late ya hear?

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Just calm down and take the damn pill! Yes, the dosage is metric, but that doesn't mean it is part of the plot.

Reply to
Toller

You're right - milligrams! DAMN!

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

An a 17mm and 11/16" are almost interchangeable.

But buying gas at ?1,25 a liter takes a bigger chunk out of you wallet. That's what I paid a couple of weeks ago. OUCH ! ! ! For those not wanting to do the two conversions, it is about $6.50 a gallon.

My pressure regulator is set a 6 bar. How about you?

Takes a bit of getting used to, but once you start using metric on a regular basis you'll wonder why we never did in the past.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Charlie, A few comments;

Is this the metric spelling of knob?

And my calculator gets 6720 for the equation below, unless your value is in the metric system.

But seriously, do you think Festool would ever release this as an inch machine in the future? Not that it will make a difference if I buy one but it's a relatively new release and there are thousands of potential users here. Marc (I'm only 11.1112 years old in the Celsius scale!)

Reply to
marc rosen

On Apr 17, 5:44 pm, charlieb wrote: [snip]

Check your temperature, charlie...my goodness.

wait

you'd need a thermoMETER!!! Dammit, you're onto something!!!

Reply to
Robatoy

See! Metric Evangelicals have been in your midst for a LONG time (speedoMETER, odoMETER, ok so we haven't gotten to your engine's gas or temperature gauge - yet. Wonder what happened to "fifths" and pints of Jack Daniels? Notice that soft drinks now have one, two and three liter bottles?).

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

On Apr 18, 2:00 am, charlieb wrote: Wonder what happened to "fifths" and pints

They start off with the soft drink bottles...who knows what's next...it's just the tip of the iceberg. Icebergs are nine-tenths under water.....tenths...metric...see???

Reply to
Robatoy

before the plot thickens any further could you share your practical experiences with us on the Domino? Thumbs up? Thumbs down? Greatest thing since sliced bread?

Reply to
ROY!

I've got the perfect solution to your problem. I live in Canuckistan and speak a pidgin form of metric, so I'd be happy to relieve you of your pain. We weaned ourselves off the Imperial system years ago. So just send the whole nasty business to my brother and me, Bob & Doug, RR 1, Canada. Remain true to your brothers in Myanmar and Liberia. Rid yourself of those evil FES things.

Reply to
Doug Payne

were you the guys who found the mouse in the beer bottle in that movie from way back, eh?

Reply to
ROY!

You bet, eh.

Doug Payne

Reply to
ROY!

I got this thing last Saturday afternoon at the Pleasonton, CA woodworking show. I worked our wood turning club booth from 2 to closing that day and spent most of Sunday back at the show picking up last minute stuff and an impulse purchase Razertip SK wood burning unit - with a couple of extra "pens" (I'm going to start signing and dating my work - so my kids will know when their inheritance was decreased and why.

I put up some web pages of what I've diwscovered so far (see the post "Festool DOMINO - First cut at some web pages on it" for the URLs. Before I actually use it for a project I want to figure out the What, How and Why first so I under stand the tool better. THEN I'll do a bunch of organized samples before I begin the three or four bonsai tables I promised my oldest. After that I want to try a chair. Will put up pages on what I discover in a few real world applications.

I have done some test cuts and played with the tool a little. I've handcut mortise and tenon joints. I've got a General International 75-750M chisel and bit mortising machine and used it extensively when building Das Bench. I've done mortise and tenon joints on the JoinTech Cabinet Maker System (router table with precision positionable fence) on a router table and I've built some mortise and tenoned tables using the TREND M&T Jig and a plunge router. Other than the LEIGH FMT jig, I've tried "the rest" in real world applications. Other than doing BIG through mortise joints (which is why I got the General) - the DOMINO is the fastes, easiest, most idiot proof way of doing loose tenon mortise and tenon joints I've found. The proof will be in the results of the bonsai tables. Will report back on that when it's done.

One thing it will do that the other methods/tools/jigs won't do, or at least not easily, is let you mortise into end grain of L O N G parts, a bed rail or buffet apron -without having to work on a ladder.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Wow Doug, you really are a generous and swell guy. ;~)

Reply to
Leon