Domino Wanna'be

If you are interested in a Festool Domino and don't have one,

'll pass, appears to be one size and slower than a router or Domino and apparently does not do bevels.

Reply to
Leon

>> I'll pass, appears to be one size and slower than a router or Domino and

At least they have the good sense to use a Makita drill. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

On Mon, 28 May 2012 08:40:19 -0500, Leon

been ignored by the woodworking community. That suggest to me that it's not as useful as the video seems to imply.

Reply to
Dave

I wonder if a Festool drill would work??? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

> The mortise mill has been on the market for awhile now and largely

I suspect it may be a bit too much trouble and time consuming.

Reply to
Leon

Woodcraft carried it for a while but it apparently did not sell. As it was made by Jessem, I doubt there was any quality issue. Your thought that it really wasn't that useful is probably correct.

OTOH, the loose tenons they sell for it work quite nicely. I bought a couple of boxes while Woodcraft had them.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I can understand why it didn't sell, but for the sale price it could fit in the category of those tools that you don't use often, but out on a job site somewhere and you absolutely need what it does, it could pay for itself.

My old Fein Multi-tool is in that category for what I do.

It looks like you may be able to place and drill accurate dowel holes with it also?

Reply to
Swingman

Indeed! And, LOOK! They even had the good sense to keep the price low enough for everyday people to be able to buy one.

Kudos to JessEm for a cool tool and a good deal. Value!

-- When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake. -- Stephanie Barron (Something for the Powers That Be to remember, eh?)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 28 May 2012 16:11:44 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

I would also suggest that the drill driven bit, (markedly slowed than a router bit might be driven) would try to wander and not leave as smooth a mortise as one would desire.

Work quite nicely on what? ~ a Domino made mortise, on something else or do you have (and actually use) one of these mortise mills?

But, I do agree with Swingman's viewpoint that it might be a convenient tool to use when nothing else is on hand available to use.

Reply to
Dave

No regrets at all on my Fein multi tool. It saved my ass many times. Although recently let other people do work for me had they had a Ryobi cordless that got the job done, but by sure weight I have no regrets on owning the tool.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

I have a feeling that it is going to be just as cool as the old PC detail sander. Good idea, bad implementation. I saw a few questionable features on the Jesssem tool.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly! I think it will do what it has to do but you would not want to be using it all the time for the purpose it was intended.

Reply to
Leon

Fess up, Leon. You only disdain the JessEm because:

1) it isn't produced by Festool and 2) it doesn't cost an arm, a leg, and your firstborn,

right? You're funny that way. ;)

As to implementation, I just hope they have an adjustable slide so you can take out the slack, preventing over-tall holes which would allow loose tenons.

-- When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake. -- Stephanie Barron (Something for the Powers That Be to remember, eh?)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Here is a couple of similar but better jigs..

for the poor among us:

there is one more that does it all with a drill that I bought at a WW show a few years back and can't remember the name...

Reply to
Pat Barber