Multitools

I've got the HF multitool, and it's loud, noisy, and vibrates the whole tool and not just the bit. I believe this is normal for a tool that cheap, so I've been wondering if anyone's used the other copies that sell for around $100.

How well do some of the others work? I'm not inclined to buy a Fein because of how little I need the HF version.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Have no fear. The Fein is noisy and vibrates too. I have tested it.

The Rockwell is quite and smooth I tested that too. But I have the Dremel I bought it before I tested the Rockwell. Had I known I might have bought the Rock...

The Fe> I've got the HF multitool, and it's loud, noisy, and vibrates the whole

Reply to
tiredofspam

Which HF tool do you have? I have their top of line on that retails for around $70 but is on sale often for $45 which as what I paid. I know they have one or two below it in price.

I am pretty happy with mine. It makes a strong, audible buss but I wouldn't call it noisy. It cuts wood better than I ever expected and the metal blade will take a small screw or nail off quickly. When I bought mine it was kind of a whim but I have used it quite a bit.

RonB

RonB

Reply to
RonB

RonB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d17g2000vbv.googlegroups.com:

Just the basic one with the tail. It was one of the cheapest ones.

Every time I use it the noise and excessive vibration (I'm sensitive to vibration) make me wonder about buying a better tool.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I have the Dremel, mainly because I have an extensive collection of Dremel tools, all of which have performed well for me over the years in my model railroad hobby. Haven't used it much, but some, and honestly don't recall the noise level with it - probably wasn't paying all that much attention. I do know that it worked well for what I needed done at the time.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Just realized I didn't really address your core question regarding the multitools. I think it's the nature of the beast, Puckdropper. It's the vibration that makes the tool function so it's pretty hard to do away with that. If they cushion the tool itself, then the tool, when held, will be less rigid as it "attacks" the material it's cutting.

Both the tool and the material being cut have to be held somewhat rigidly in place. If they aren't, you're not going to cut anything, just mar it a bit.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I think that is a good point. Frankly I was amazed at how well the thing took on 2x4's. We built a garden shed a year or so ago and when I got the roof on and sheeted I spied down the edge of the rafter- ends and had a few ends protruding out of line just a bit. I was thinking how fun it was going to be to trim them with a hand saw, because that was the only tool that would would fit in the tight quarters. Then I remembered the multitool and figured "what the heck

- worth a try." Approaching from the wide side, the tool buzzed its way through those 2x's in seconds. I had the entire problem solved in 10 minutes or so, after marking.

The multitool is one tool I bought with absolutely no apparent need. I didn't really know what I needed it for but assumed something would come up. Sure did. In addition to door frame trimming they advertise, it is useful for all kinds of stuff once you realize its capability. Quite often it just gets me out of a self imposed jam.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Quick tip for the vibration on the HF: Try to use it with the blade at 90 degrees to the workpiece (body parallel) when you can. It can really reduce the vibration.

Cool.

-- When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake. -- Stephanie Barron (Something for the Powers That Be to remember, eh?)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 29 May 2012 06:27:45 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Bah! Admit it. You stole one of Leon's Festool complimentary paragraphs and replaced every 'Festool' with 'Fein'.

Reply to
Dave

You can spend in the neighborhood of $100 for a Dremel model or similar. Check your local Craigslist - I see them advertised there from time to time.

Or you can spend fifty cents for ear plugs

Your choice.

Reply to
HeyBub

Reply to
tiredofspam

I have the Bosch multitool with the changeable head. I use it more for sanding than for cutting and I wouldn't be without it.

Max

Reply to
Max