what supports the shelves??

Please take a look at

if you have the Thomas Moser catalog, it's the Windward bookcase. I can't figure out how the adjustable shelves are supported. The resolution of the web picture could be better, but I'll swear there there are no little holes in the verticals for shelf supports. The catalog picture has better resolution but the crucial surfaces are shadowed. Still, holes are really black and generally very visible, and I don't see any. So I think it's something else, and it's damned invisible.

Reply to
donald girod

I'm betting that there are supports located in the corner verticals, probably on the blind side front, and forward or inward facing rear. Yeesh! $1,120.00 per section! Tom >"donald girod"wrote;

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

And is it just my old eyes and the perspective, or is that top shelf bowed just a teensy bit?

Incidentally, the website is contained in frames. To quickly get to the windward bookcase, use this URL:

Dan

Reply to
donald girod

Pin in the upright, slot the diameter of the pin in the shelf? Sits down nice in my experience. Invisible, too.

Looks like 3/4 stock for 30" span. Maybe not ok for quarto size, though. Pretty heavy books.

Reply to
George

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Moser uses a hidden wire that is let into the side of the shelf and the points of the wire fit into very small holes that do not show up on the website graphic.

Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Hey, great! Small holes would indeed not show. I'll have to think about how that might work--right now I'm not seeing where the strength would come from. In the catalog picture there looks to be some kind of dofunny on the bottom of the shelf, possibly locking the wire in? 10 gauge piano wire would probably do it. I'm going to be in Portsmouth later this month and I may just drive up to Freeport to get a firsthand look.

3/4" oak is ok for 30", but cherry is not as stiff, though the shelf is 13" deep, rather more than normal.

Reply to
donald girod

OKH#4

Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Ok, I got it--Lee Valley has them. I was confused because you said "side" or "edge" of the shelf--really, it's the end of the shelf.

Reply to
donald girod

My eyes are only 30-something, and still work just fine, thank you very much. It's obviously bowed. What a piece of crap. $1,200??? Some people have too much money.

Reply to
Silvan