Mortise Pal

Hi: Anyone have experience with the Mortise Pal mortising jig.??

I am ready to purchase but would like to have some first-hand user/owner comments.

John

Reply to
John Eppley

I don't own it, but it was just written up in the latest Shop Notes magazine. Pat Warner also makes a mortising jig for the router. I've been very happy with his stuff. patwarner.com

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

No, and for $189, probably won't get any.

There are lots of free designs out there using just some scrap wood that do a pretty good job which is what I did.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I checked the Patwarner site. His morticer has two severe disadvantages. First, it is 50% more expensive (>$299 plus some additional hardware) than the MorticePal. Second, it is NOT designed for "loose tenon" joinery.

Otherwise, he has an interesting site.

John

Reply to
John Eppley

There are "MANY" mortising jigs that can be built.

Here is dead simple, dirt cheap version that is quite easy and "similar" to the pricey Mortising Pal.

it a "perfect" jig ??? Nawwww...

but it is quick to make and very simple to use.

John Eppley wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

I'll second that jig! It works great.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Correction: The review's in the latest Woodsmith, not Shop Notes.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Thanks for your inputs. I solved my problem by using my router table with a JESSUM router lift. By raising the bit 1/4 inch at a time it readily makes a great mortising tool.

John

Reply to
John Eppley