Which first, the mortise or tenon?

I normally make the mortise on the mortising machine and then use the table saw tenoning jig to match the mortise. But I made the tenons first last we ek and then the mortises. This process seemed to take much less time as I m ortised just inside the pencil lines. What has been your experience?

Also, I broke the pin on the mortising machine that keeps the handle in pos ition. I've been dropping 10 penny nails in there until they eventually bre ak too. What/where would you recommend I find an insanely strong cotter pin to stick in there?

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

Mortice or tenon first? Whatever works for you. I've done it both ways, with equally good (or bad) results.

Without a make, model or picture, I'd guess the broken part is a roll pin (Google it). Measure carefully to get the hole diameter and length. Any decent hardware store should have a pin that will work.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Mortises are first cut and tenons are cut to fit the mortise.

Reply to
Leon

Leon, I thought you'd say "cut mortises, then insert dominoes." ;-)

Reply to
krw

On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 8:11:49 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote :

table saw tenoning jig to match the mortise. But I made the tenons first la st week and then the mortises. This process seemed to take much less time a s I mortised just inside the pencil lines. What has been your experience?

n position. I've been dropping 10 penny nails in there until they eventuall y break too. What/where would you recommend I find an insanely strong cotte r pin to stick in there?

You beat me to it! :-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Is that not mortises first and then tenons? Floating tenons. LOL

But seriously, it is much easier to cut a perfect tenon than a perfect mortise, be it with a mortiser or by drill and chisel. Unless you have a Domino mortiser.

Reply to
Leon

able saw tenoning jig to match the mortise. But I made the tenons first las t week and then the mortises. This process seemed to take much less time as I mortised just inside the pencil lines. What has been your experience?

position. I've been dropping 10 penny nails in there until they eventually break too. What/where would you recommend I find an insanely strong cotter pin to stick in there?

Thanks for the info! I went ahead and contacted Woodcraft about the Wood Ri ver mortiser. They immediately said they'd send a replacement free of charg e. Good customer service.

Reply to
Michael