Mobile bases for router & tablesaw

2293.public.lawson.webtv.net: And the value of that time is what? 0? I'm all for do it yourself and being inventive, but sometimes it's just frivolous. I could put in 2 hours of overtime, and make FAR more than what the cost of the factory built base is, purchase the purpose-built welded steel item and still have money left over. More-over with spare time being at a premium, I'd rather work on the projects that interest me than spend time dicking around trying to cobble up solutions to problems that have already been solved. I suspect that I'm far from alone in that With an outlook like that, why would you do any woodworking at all? Everything you've ever made has likely been made by someone else and is just as likely forsale somewhere cheaper than what you could make at your job. The joy is in the making, the fixing and the sense of accomplishment, not a cost/time ratio based against your job. With your outlook, it must be really difficult to construct anything. ****************************************************** Upscale ~ I got into this thread a little late but I had to remark that you wrote the above reply very well indeed. It so happens that I make my own bases from scrap pieces of 2x4 or 2x3 and use mortise and tenon joints just for the fun of it. Then I attach two fixed casters and two swivel ones. The finishing touch is a spring loaded foot-operated door stop to keep it from rolling while I'm using the machine. It costs me less than a cheap store bought one and I can look at it and say, "I made that!". Isn't this what woodworking is all about?

Peace ~ SirEdgar =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8

Reply to
Sir Edgar

I've never had a problem finding ways to turn a profit from my spare time activities. They are often far more profitable than going to work. But that is irrelevant, perhaps your time has no value to you. MY time has considerable value to me, as there is precious little of it available.

Reply to
Secret Squirrel

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:uGc5b.3592$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

That was the exact point I was making though, and which some people seem to have missed. Time has a value. For some that value is low. They have plenty available, and perhaps not alot of funds available. Or perhaps they simply enjoy the tinkering. Others have to place a premium on time as there is just not enough available and the time taken from activities they enjoy, or the projects that are important to them justifies the expense spent on purchasing whatever the item in question was. Sadly, the myopic majority that seems to spend all of their time flaming posts in newsgroups took that as some sort of an affront to their sensibilties instead of what is was : One man's opinion on the original posters question.

Reply to
Secret Squirrel

Squirrel says: " . . .but it doesn't have any bearing on the original post."

Hey, man, if the flip-flop fits, slip it on. If not, then leave it on the beach!!

Reply to
RM MS

I must say this is a strange thread. I may have come in a bit late on the subject, but in my view....money is time and time is money. It's just what value each individual puts on each that determine their avenue of approach to things. One thing for sure, attacking each other in this manner is just a waste of time, energy and if one sees fit to include...money. Wouldn't you rather be planning or building your next woodworking project (whatever it may be) than bickering over the perception of what's more important...money or time.

DM

Bay Area Dave wrote in news:zNc5b.8935$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
DMacD