Mobile bases for router & tablesaw

My inital project is going to be a cedar strip canoe. I have 1/2 of a small 2 car garage for a shop space. I have a BT3100 table saw and a Rockler router table that are not yet assembled. I am interested in putting these on mobile bases. The center of the shop will be taken up with the strongback.

Is there a source for for bases that work like typewriter tables? They have wheels and a mechanism that lift the table up to roll and lowers the table to allow the feet to support the table.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

RT

Reply to
Funjumper101

Sure, look at your favorite tool outlet for mobile bases.

http:/google.com

search for mobile base table saw.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

I have one on my 14" bandsaw. It's a Portamate. It is adjustable in base size, so you can fit it to many different bases. Only two wheels lift and lower, so when down, the base is on two wheels and two feet. It is more solid than I'd have expected - the wheels are solid and the base doesn't wiggle much.

The bases are available in several weight capacity/size combinations and priced accordingly. The PM1000 is small (up to 300 lb) and up to 31" square or 19"x43" rectangle. I've seen tham at my local Home Depot.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

If you're near a Harbor Fright store, look at this mobile base:

It seems to go on sale pretty often for about half price. I've got my BT3100 on one.

-- Steve

Reply to
Steve Dunbar

Why do you people always solve everything by buying more crap? Get with it and show some All-American ingenuity, man!! Buy or scavenge a set of rollers or caster wheels and build a damn stand!! Hint: circle your tool base with wood and then place boards under and across that with the casters below. Some thinking and basic measuring will show you the way, and if that ain't Barbie 'n' Ken enough for you, then paint it gray.

Reply to
RM MS

Reply to
fsteddie

When you price a set of casters and figure in the time to build the stand it works out better if you just buy one. I was going to build one for my table saw, but it cost more to buy the casters, nuts, bolts, angle iron than to buy a premade one.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I solved all those problems, and mine don't raise the equip. more than

1/2" offthe floor either. Dang, man, I got to tell you how to do everything? Think, think, THINK!!
Reply to
RM MS

Mine is a ring or 2=D76 around the bottom of the saw legs. 2 more 2=D76 laid flat and screwed across and beneath that ring makes the wheel mount. Casters were snatched from a junk pile at work.If you need lockers, then look a little longer and grab them. If not, tap a little wedge between the wheel and sheave. Nuts and carriage bolts were laying in jars and bins in my garage for years already, glad to use them p. Total time: 2hrs.

Reply to
RM MS

"I am sure that if I had the time I could design something, track down the parts, make it, debug it, and end up with a reasonably satisfactory solution."

Then why don't you just buy the damn birdhouse and forget the whole thing?

Reply to
RM MS

I wrote in my original message that I was planning to build a strip built canoe. I might build some birdhouses and bat houses for the property at some point. At the moment it isn't in my near term plans.

In spite of your extreme crankiness it sounds like you might have some useful ideas.

What model saw do you have? What other tools do you have? As you have your saw on a mobile base it sounds like you have space limitaions in your shop as well. Do you have any practical ideas I can use in my limited space?

Thanks in advance,

Roy T.

Reply to
Funjumper101

My table saw is on one of Delta's "build-your-own" bases: they provide the steel corners and wheels/raiser, you provide the hardwood connectors. They sell for around $40. . .Here's a shot of my saw:

Kim Whitmyre

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ToolMiser) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m10.aol.com:

If you have access to a welder it is pretty easy to build your own. I welded a frame using angle iron(such that the flat part faces in). The equipment legs then set on the angle iron. If additional room is needed for the legs, add a bit of flat steel. This arrangement lets the tool sit flat on the floor. The "tricky" bit is to cut a piece of ~2' long angle and weld a ~2" wheel to it near the back. Drill a hole through the back and through the back of the base and use a shoulder bolt as a pivot bolt to connect the wheel to the base. (one on each side of course). When in use, the wheels hold their piece of angle iron up at about a 45 degree angle. When ready to move, just pull the angle down. I put a bolt in the front of each leg/cabinet for the angle iron to slip under and hold the rear wheels in place.

To lift the front up, I put an eye bolt in the center of the front base. I then welded a 4" wheel to some square tube and a hook to the tupe in front of the wheel. I can now just slip the hook into the eye bolt, pull down on the handle and move it around like a tricycle.

It is a pretty simple design but the tools stay flat on the floor without moving around under pressure. I also don't have a big wheel sticking out in front of all the equipment. It is more trouble than it is worth for only one machine, but with my small shop I need to move them all when working with 8' lumber.

Reply to
Jim

Well, unless you have someone that pays you for your spare time, then you are correct - the answer is zero.

problems

Kind of boils down to you spend your spare time the way you want and he'll spend it the way he wants.

Reply to
Steve

With an outlook like that, why would you do any woodworking at all? Everything you've ever made has likely been made by someone else and is just as likely forsale somewhere cheaper than what you could make at your job. The joy is in the making, the fixing and the sense of accomplishment, not a cost/time ratio based against your job. With your outlook, it must be really difficult to construct anything.

Reply to
Upscale

No, at least you're not alone on that around here anyway, I can see there a lot of lazy people in this group.

Reply to
RM MS

I agree with Upscale, and as I have said before, why bother at all with all the bullshit. Save yourself a few grand and buy the damn birdhouse. Nobody's paying you for that, either

Reply to
RM MS

If that fits your life style, good for you. Perhaps the OP is retired and cannot work OT to buy his toys;. but he has plenty of time.

We all get satisfaction from woodworking or we would not be here. Some of my most satisfying days in the shop are when I produce just about nothing physical, but did have a good idea for "next time". Or spent 30 minutes making a jig to save 5 minutes time, but it works soooo goood!.

Today, I brought some wood home from work. It is soft wood, dunnage from an import shipment. I spent time to resaw it, I'm going to plane it, and finally cut it for something useful. I can get the same board feet of wood very cheap and possibly better quality at t he BORG. Why bother?

It is very satisfying to show people a piece of the rough lumber from a shipping pallet made into an outdoor table. I get more oooh's and aaah's than if it was made from ebony. Keep in mind, you are not given points based on the number of projects or the amount of wood you used.

It is not the destination, it is the journey. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I agree with the squirrel on this one...Not everyone enjoys making all of their shop equipment; they've got their eye on the furniture making, or whatever wood projects suit their fancy. Some guys will scrounge around for weeks or months for a used motor, pulleys, switches, wire, brackets, pulleys, nuts/bolts, belts, framistans, doohickeys, thingamjigs, whatchacallits, etc instead of shelling out $89 for a belt sander. To each his own. Try not to be so critical of those who focus their energies in this endeavor we all refer to as "Woodworking". Narrow-mindedness never solved anything.

dave

Upscale wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave