Rockler router table

I am on the market for the router table. I am considering buying Rockler router table top with fence and building base myself from MDF. It looks solid and not much expensive. Any opinion on Rockler table and fence? What other brands to consider? I also want to buy raised panel door router bit set. I researched a little bit and liked sets from mlcswoodworking.com and woodbits.com. Are they of good quality?

Reply to
Alexander Galkin

i don't like my rockler table. i ended up putting it aside, and building my own table (2 layers MDF, waxed) and my own fence (aluminum angle with adjustable MDO faces) and it's much better. as far as i am concerned, i wasted money on the rockler table.

part of the problem for me is that the rocker table has the insert mounted in the center. i've found that that's not ideal - i have mine closer to one edge of a much larger table. i don't even use an insert - i just have a hole drilled for the bit, and i have a 690 base permanently mounted to the bottom of the table. much simpler, easier to deal with (until i get a mechanical surface-adjustable lift).

just my $0.02 - good luck.

--- dz

Alexander Galk> I am on the market for the router table. I am considering buying Rockler

Reply to
David Zaret

I have a Bench Dog table. They offset the router to the front. Theory is that most stuff is small and you don't want to reach, but if you do have a very large piece you just work from the other size and have a very wide table.

If I was building from scratch and did notknow better, I may have put the router in the center, but this does make much more sense once you see it. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

yeah it really works well. i acquired a jointech router system, and it requires room to mount the adjustable slide to the table. couldn't use it on my rockler table without most of it hanging off. once i started working with an offset hole, i decided that with or without the jointech, it just makes sense.

and honestly, i prefer heavily waxed MDF to laminate. not sure why.

i have my router "table" sitting on a mobile cabinet with a built-in air cleaner - i built it using a spare furnace blower i had, and four good furnace filters - works like a champ.

maybe one day i'll get a nice router lift.

--- dz

Edw>>mounted in the center. i've found that that's not ideal - i have mine

Reply to
David Zaret

When the Rockler table top came out I bought one and even praised it highly enough that they used a qoute from me in their catalog. I've come to realize that it has some drawbacks over the years. Whether these are acceptable for your usage and the price charged is something you should consider: 1 after heavy usage for several years their method of clamping the fence began to damage the slot on the underside and that caused the "T" bolt heads to jam and made unlocking the fence a chore; 2 again, after several years of use the screws that they use for leveling the insert in the recess began to dig into the substrate making in necessary to level and re-level it for critical work. Both of these are relatively easy to fix and with light usage they might never even occur. Or perhaps they have fixed the problems in newer units. It is an inexpensive top and overall I'm still not that unhappy with the purchase despite these glitches.

Reply to
John McGaw

Go over to A.B.P.W. and look for my post(s) on a simple router table made from two pieces of 3/4" plywood.(So far) You could use MDF and make it even cheaper.

David Zaret wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

I just bought a router top and fence from someone who sells them on Ebay; just do a search, they always have a few going.

Just today I built a table for it and mounted the router; so I don't have a whole lot of experience with it, but it seems solid, and is cheaper than the more commercial ones.

I was a little concerned that it is only 3/4" thick. They claim their materials are stronger than the thicker ones. I don't know about that, but securely attached to my 2x12s it won't be going anywhere.

They have the miter slot at the extreme front end, which seems a little far; but once I build a sled it will be fine.

Reply to
Toller

David Zaret wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@zaret.com:

Wax the laminate. Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

Just finishing up my own router table. I didn't like the Rockler tables - they just look too flimsey to me. But I do like the Rockler large aluminum insert plates. Very sturdy and true. I've got one in my table.

The nice thing about making your own table, is you can make it just how *you* want it. I set my plate back on the table so that the bit is about 16" from the front edge to provide enough front side table surface for supporting larger raised panelling operations. This isn't too far back for smaller stuff for me, either.

I'm also ordering one of the MLCS 3.5" raised panel sets. Will let you know how it works out. The others I've looked at were from

- you might want to take a gander there too.

Brian.

snipped-for-privacy@oohay.com

Reply to
Brian

"John McGaw" wrote in news:RBpzb.447$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews6.bellsouth.net:

Here's a web review of the Rocker router table:

actually like the Workmate router table idea better because I have a lack of space. I don't know of anyone that has done one though and used it extensively though:
ken

Reply to
Ken Yee