Miter Guage

d enough for what I do with it. That looks like a nice Griz saw. I can see = they have a 1023 for the same price that is 5hp not 3 like the 690. Not tha= t you need it but the extra umph can be a big help on some projects. Maybe = not as slick a setup on the riving and fence, but not sure.

I have had 8\4 oak bevel cuts struggle on my ole Powermatic 3hp. I saw simi= lar strain on a uni-saw at my buddies shop, that eventually burned out and = he upgraded to a 5hp and it always cuts like buttah. All thing sbeing equal= a 5hp would better in IMNSHO but I suppose all things aren't equal and the= newer model saw with the 3hp prob has some better features in other areas.= So if the guy was going to be ripping 4x4's all day the 5hp might be betta= h.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

enough for what I do with it. That looks like a nice Griz saw. I can see they have a 1023 for the same price that is 5hp not 3 like the 690. Not that you need it but the extra umph can be a big help on some projects. Maybe not as slick a setup on the riving and fence, but not sure.

strain on a uni-saw at my buddies shop, that eventually burned out and he upgraded to a 5hp and it always cuts like buttah. All thing sbeing equal a 5hp would better in IMNSHO but I suppose all things aren't equal and the newer model saw with the 3hp prob has some better features in other areas. So if the guy was going to be ripping 4x4's all day the 5hp might be bettah.

Sounds like the "ole" Powermatic motor was on its last leg, or dull blades. 3.25" buried in Ipe beats just about any other torture test. ;~) Something was not right on both saws you mentioned. There should have been no problem making a bevel cut in even 12/4 oak.

FWIW Ipe is 2.7 times harder than White Oak..

Reply to
Leon

I call Oak Rust.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Hummmmmmmmmmmm

Reply to
Leon

You focussed right in on what was bothering me. I could not see how to use a sled or sacrificial board and take advantage of the "precision stops" that are an integral part of the product.

Of course, if one reads 130 reviews, the most common complaint, among those that complain, is the accuracy for length rather than angular measurement.

My thanks to everyone who has or is contributing to this thread. I have found every post thought-provoking and helpful.

Bill

The sacrificial fence can

Reply to
Bill

ood enough for what I do with it. That looks like a nice Griz saw. I can se= e they have a 1023 for the same price that is 5hp not 3 like the 690. Not t= hat you need it but the extra umph can be a big help on some projects. Mayb= e not as slick a setup on the riving and fence, but not sure.

similar strain on a uni-saw at my buddies shop, that eventually burned out = and he upgraded to a 5hp and it always cuts like buttah. All thing sbeing e= qual a 5hp would better in IMNSHO but I suppose all things aren't equal and= the newer model saw with the 3hp prob has some better features in other ar= eas. So if the guy was going to be ripping 4x4's all day the 5hp might be b= ettah.

Well, my experience is different than yours. I guess they offer the 5hp jus= t so they can get more money.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

OhmyBuddha! Not the Oak Rust thread again...

-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Reply to
Larry Jaques

--------------------------------- Bill spend money?

Surely you jest.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I was starting to wonder where you were. Good to see you! Neither a lender nor a lender be?

Believe me "it" flows, you can see it from under that Arco sign! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Oops, that was a typo: "Neither a borrower nor a lender be." That's was I get for looking the quote up while I type it.

Reply to
Bill

It is a seldom used item once you have made a sled and/or own some type of miter saw. I wouldn't waste any time or money on one.

Reply to
DanG

That sounds like a good way to start.

Reply to
Bill

I have a miter saw and Dubby miter sleds, left and right sides. I pretty much use the Incra 1000HD exclusively now. I use the sleds 10+ years and then I got the Incra which is more convenient and just as accurate.

Reply to
Leon

It is if you only want to make 90 degree cuts. For mitered cuts you want to go with an Incra miter gauge or if you prefer the sled, get something like the Dubby,

Leon

enough for what I do with it. That looks like a nice Griz saw. I can see they have a 1023 for the same price that is 5hp not 3 like the 690. Not that you need it but the extra umph can be a big help on some projects. Maybe not as slick a setup on the riving and fence, but not sure.

similar strain on a uni-saw at my buddies shop, that eventually burned out and he upgraded to a 5hp and it always cuts like buttah. All thing sbeing equal a

5hp would better in IMNSHO but I suppose all things aren't equal and the newer model saw with the 3hp prob has some better features in other areas. So if the guy was going to be ripping 4x4's all day the 5hp might be bettah.

so they can get more money.

No, I think both saws you had issues with had bad motors, or dull blades, or these saws were out of alignment, which seems apparent since you did have one motor fail. Seriously a 220 volt 3hp motor should have easily handled what you were cutting.

Reply to
Leon

Length accuracy is a strong point with the Incra, it took me a while to understand how to quickly recalibrate the miter gauge stop and fence after moving it from one side of the blade to the other. I use the gauge on the right side of the blade to take advantage of the long table on my saw to square the ends of stock. I use the gauge on the left side for cutting to length. When going back to the left side you have to recalibrate the fence, recalibration takes about 10 seconds or however long it would take you to position the stop on "zero" and slide the fence and stop up to the blade and tighten two bolts.

Reply to
Leon

I'm flashing on the time that I had a piece of 8/4 ipe planed down to 1-

1/4 at the lumberyard. Don't know the horsepower on their planer but it's about the size of my SUV. Went about six inches and stalled.
Reply to
J. Clarke