Best Benchtop Jointer: Delta JT160, Harbor Freight, Grizzly H2801?

Hello out there, I don't have a large shop but would like to have some kind of jointer. I recently returned a Craftsman benchtop model because I found out that the tables were not coplaner (thanks to Ed Bennett's TS-Aligner Jr.)- see topic "Jointer Troubles". That said, I'm looking for a replacement. I see the Shopfox benchtop is exactly the same as the Craftsman benchtop with different labels. I want to stay away from Sears for the rest of my life.

I have a Delta drill press and table saw, both of which are absolutely outstanding all around and their customer service (at least in my experience) has also been incredible, so naturally I'm leaning toward the Delta JT160, but I've heard bad things about it. Now, are these things by people who use the larger stationary jointers and are irked at the difference? I can't tell. I've heard great things about the Harbor Freight which just looks cheap and appears to have none of the features Delta has. I haven't heard anything about the Grizzly but figured I'd include it and ask if anyone knows about any other benchtop models as well.

I know a benchtop jointer can't compare to a stationary one but if you had to pick one, which would you choose and why? Also, if you know of one with a blade lock let me know. Thanks for your input!

Reply to
Chrisgiraffe

None, because they are all kind of cheesy. Get a real one and be done with it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have a delta variable speed benchtop.it works just fine on small projects(boards two feet or shorter if your real careful) But I replaced it with a real one as soon as I could. the cast iron beds, fence and the much longer beds make a big deference.

len

Reply to
leonard

"Chrisgiraffe" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Stanley #6. Preferably a pre-WWII model. With a replacement upgraded blade. Or a LV BU jointer.

Small power jointers are a PIA.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

No way! Real men use a #8 :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Larry Blanchard wrote in news:12ne07i5ogc4p92 @corp.supernews.com:

Well, I have one of those, too. And a #7. But the OP indicated he wanted a 'small jointer'. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Touche!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Mr. Pawlowski, you were right. I'm not sure if "cheesy" is how I'd describe them, but they were never going to deliver what I was asking from them. I went out yesterday and bought a Jet JJ-6CSX. The amazing thing is I spent roughly $150 more than what I would have on a bench top but the comparison is like a Yugo versus a Cadillac. I bought a General International rolling base to go with it and now I'm in business. This thing is solid, quiet and looks like it will last a lifetime. On top of that it takes up a very small footprint and with the stand I can roll it out of the way when it's not in use.

Thank you for your suggestion and thank you to all who were helpful.

Reply to
Chrisgiraffe

Gosh, I love a happy ending. Good luck with the new toy.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski