Mission Chair Reproduction 2013

+1
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Scroll on down ...

Reply to
Swingman

Scroll to the end ... I'm far from being out of the woods on these curve. Chair legs with two radii of the magnitude are a PITA ..

Reply to
Swingman

For a long time, I've liked front porch chairs and rockers. Every opportun ity I've had, I would speak to old timers about their chair making.

Long ago, one old timer told me how to easily make a double curve on the ba ckrest support and continuous with/onto the (lower) leg, when creating/desi gning a chair from scratch. Maybe others had used or knew of this, but it never occured to me to try it, so I was impressed and have never forgotten. *A slap in the face of how easy and simple it is. I recall,(I thought I knew it all) my "educated" ass was taught a good lesson about the common se nse of such things, that day.

It went something like: "If the upper curve is on 3', then, to make the lo wer curve with a sharper curve, shorten your same string with a nail, on th e same sweep." I was trying to understand his French and I don't speak or understand French very well.

Anchor (focal point) your 3' string and sweep your pencil, at the other end , to make the upper curve. At the point you want to start making your lowe r curve, and for it to be graciously continuous with the upper curve/sweep, put a nail 6" closer to the pencil. As you make your upper sweep mark, th e string hits the nail and the nail becomes the new focal point. The short er length/radius continues the sweep, hence making the lower curve a sharpe r turn. There's an infinite number of different double curves to make by p ositioning the nail at different distances.

Visiting with old timers is, often, as much a pleasure as woodworking, itse lf.

And, Karl.... your chair is looking good, too!

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

All parts done, sanding and glue-up and it's toast.

Swingman

Ah... the home stretch! Do you do the upholstery too or farm that out?

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

No, that's up to the client, as well as the staining finishing. (but I will do the seat frames for her, which for these chairs is simply 1/2" plywood).

Reply to
Swingman

Looking good there Karl.

I know that you are making some "matching" chairs. To my critical eye, I am sure I would notice the difference. I suppose that most people would not. Is that in any way a concern for the clients?

To be clear about this, the reason I would notice the difference is that I always go under the furniture to see how it was put together. Between actually building furniture and inspecting it enough, I know my way around this topic. My wife, who is a quilter, can look at any quilt and tell you all kinds of details that I would never guess. So, if you have special knowledge, this kind of thing becomes easy. But most people just don't notice the details that much.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Good deal, they look really nice.

I have made a few chair like objects, one was so uncomfortable that it couldn't have been used as an electric chair for fear of cruel and unusual punishment.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Not sure I understand. Is what a concern?

Reply to
Swingman

Dey sho iz purdy!

Reply to
-MIKE-

How well they match. Can somebody look at them and tell the difference between the mass manufactured version and the hand made in Karl's shop version?

I find it interesting that you are making a far superior version of the chair. But they will end up looking alike.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Hopefully not ... a faithful reproduction with regard to look and style was sorta the whole idea. :)

And, as long as the client is happy, I could care less.

Never underestimate the fact that putting time, effort, and money where it can't be seen goes a long way to insuring that you can make a living at what you enjoy doing. :)

Reply to
Swingman

For beginners, Karl did not use the big ass staples to hold the front legs like the factory did, these chairs are far superior to the factory sets.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

Exactly my point! His is a far superior product. Most people would not notice the difference. I think I would. Just because I get nosy and stick my head underneath the wood furniture item to see what it is made of. If they looked identical, and I just looked under one, I wouldn't notice. But if I looked at two and saw a difference, I would immediately investigate al the chairs.

I am also sensitive to colors. And if the finish was just a little off, I would probably notice it.

I should mention that I knew a guy who worked for a local finish company. His job was to match a finish with anything that somebody brought through the door. He was very good. The finishes were tricky and involved. But if you wanted a match, they would mix it up for you. You would bring in some scrap and they would put several different mixes onto the wood. A day or two later, they would have it perfect. Or if you were in a hurry, they would dry the finish with a hair dryer. I have seen a number of repaired and replacement furniture with absolutely perfect matches. He had an eye. I could never do that.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

s like the factory did, these chairs are far superior to the factory sets.

On a similar note, much of today's upholstered furniture has lots of staple d butt joints, often with no glue, no dowels, etc. Sometimes there's a thi n ply piece spanning a butt joint, with only staples attaching the ply.

For anyone, I recommend finding the much better made old furniture and have it reupholstered. For a woodworker, once the upholsterer removes the old fabric/padding, you can repair any internal damage/loose joints properly, i f the upholsterer doesn't repair wood parts (Some don't. They just cover u p what's there, unless otherwise instructed).

.... Or maybe we could send our broken furniture to Karl and he'll repair i t, really well, - for free?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Swingman wrote in news:dOydnTt0quSNXd3MnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com: