MDF Shortage?

Yup, my main supplier in London,ON is out of 1/2" and 1" MDF, has been for weeks.

Reply to
Robatoy

You'd think they could just grow more termites...

Clint

Reply to
Clint

Is there a shortage of MDF? I have been in three of the big box stores in Wichita and not a sheet is available. A Lowe's employee told me they have been out for weeks.

Anywhere else?

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Fine lumber has it in 1/4, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, and 1". All double refined except the 5/8, which is single refined. They are a little low on 1/4", but they have bundles of the rest.

Reply to
Robert Allison

When you hear about nothing in the news but closing lumber mills it makes you wonder about how they can run out with so much apparently surplus milling capacity

Brent Ottawa On

Reply to
Brent

*All* sheet goods in my local orange borg are low. Lots of previously covered floor space now visible.

jc

Reply to
Joe

Still getting it, in dribbles, here, but the rumor is that the mdf shortage is apparently due to a world wide shortage of methanol.

It's always something ... go to pour a foundation, suddenly concrete, readily available last week, is in short supply; trim a house, suddenly sheet goods, heretofore plentiful, are hard to find.

Somebody want to pay me to quit so we can just skip all this shortage shit?

Reply to
Swingman

From what I have been hearing, Lowe's sales have been way off especially in December and they may be cutting back on the value of their inventory.

Reply to
Leon

It's not just Lowes....

The building industry is in the dumps and heading down even more in the coming months.

Myrtle Beach, S.C. has more than 9,000 condo's on the market. That's new sales, not resales.

I have read that Miami area is even worse.

Construction guys are in a real jamb here.

Le> From what I have been hearing, Lowe's sales have been way off especially in

Reply to
Pat Barber

Hummm...maybe its time to start looking for a beach condo.

Skip

Skip Williams

According to that scenario, there should be plenty of mdf/building materials available, eh?

Reply to
Swingman

"Skip Williams" wrote

I wouldn't count on it ... the prices in many areas don't seem to be dropping to match the media's gleeful 'doom and gloom'.

Kept hearing how bad the housing market in Hot Springs was back in December ... until, that is, I started looking for "comps" to get an idea of a properties value, and was seeing what I would consider high prices, even down here in Houston where the market hasn't been all that bad.

Reply to
Swingman

But I'd expect that to result in a downturn in building which would make materials a glut on the market.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Based on the 4th qtr reports of the financial industry yesterday, I have a very uncomfortable feeling that the building industry is just the "canary in the coal mine".

It's going to be tough going for a while.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

"Pendulums swing, like pendulums do ..."

In this case the media has a vested interest in doom and gloom ... until after 11/08. Take a look at the DJ five year average:

ain't it?

IOW, don't believe a damn thing you see or read, they're all lying to further their agenda's, and they ALL have an agenda.

Reply to
Swingman

> Terrible ain't it?

more interesting chart

charlie

That's a fact. And a phrase I've use often over the past few decades.

Not trying to be a smart-ass, but... If you are heavily vested in the stock market, it may look rosy. IMHO, I don't feel that is an accurate indicator of the health of the economy for your average putz, however. Represents increasing stock values for do nothing investors - not personal earnings, cost of living, etc. for the working populace. How do they achieve increased stock earnings? Cutting salaries, sending jobs overseas, gutting retirement and healthcare benefits, cheapening products; thereby increasing volume through replacement sales? Lovely...

And this, too, is a fact.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

The performance of the market has left me totally under whelmed since

01/01/00.

There are some exceptions.

As far as the media is concerned, what do you see as a "vested interest" in the current news?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thar seems to be the case up here also. It's like a giant game of chicken between the sellers and the buyers.

The down turn here ain't from the media, it's for real.

I understand other areas seem to be doing just fine.

The market got way overheated here for alsmost 5 years and all that's coming home to roost.

It will swing the other way at some point. It always has.

Sw> Kept hearing how bad the housing market in Hot Springs was back in December

Reply to
Pat Barber

You would think, but I know that not to be true.

The quality of the plywood I have seen lately continues to spiral downward, which I didn't think was possible.

We have seen building materials costs continue to fall in certain products.

OSB has really fell through the bottom.

Sw According to that scenario, there should be plenty of mdf/building materials available, eh?

Reply to
Pat Barber