MDF ok for rail and stiles?

I priced the MDF doors at size (8 doors 22x42)......Holy Cr.....p!!! It was only $114. No way I could buy the material to make my own for that little. The shipping was another $60 though. Thats galling. I might consider replacing many more doors to get the shipping to a decent ratio since the shipping is fixed.

Reply to
trs80

That's what a big old honking CNC machine can do to a sheet of MDF. I saw one at the IWF make 12 doors in

12 minutes.

I mean really pretty doors with a LOT of detail.

I was told that the machine was NOT running at max speed for safety reasons in the exhibit hall.

trs80 wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Reply to
trs80

Be prepared to offload the goods out at the street or pay an exorbitant "lift" charge and that will most likely still be curbside. I forget the trucking outfit but the lift charge when I used Lakeside was $0.50 or $0.57/lb. MDF is damned heavy (96 lbs. per 4 X 8 X 3/4 sheet.

Reply to
NuWaveDave

I didn't even bother to check the math.. Still, if it's a project for me, I'd spend the extra money, although I understand the money difference is now more significant. It's also worth considering the health risk of MDF. Yes, I know that can be managed with proper respitory protection, but since my shop is in the basement, I prefer to minimize the amount of MDF and treated wood cutting that I do down there.

Reply to
bf

good tip. Offloading on the street is fine for me.

Reply to
trs80