1/4" plywood panels on large rail & stile doors

I am making two mission style rail & stile doors (21" x 75") I had planned on using 1/4" oak plywood for the panels (2 in each door)

1/4" (3/16" actual) oak plywood seems kind of flimsy. Would I be better off using 3/8" (5/16" actual)
Reply to
Tom H

If those are the only choices, I'd say go with the thicker ply -- but if you can find plywood that's 1/4" actual, that's probably sufficient.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Good luck finding Oak plywood between 1/4" and 3/4".

1/4" Oak will be fine.
Reply to
Leon

Although I agree, 1/4" will work just fine, I wonder,, how hard is it to find 1/2" oak plywood? And if he really wanted 3/8" he could just veneer a peice. Lou

Reply to
Lou

Those sound very close to the dimensions of the doors I built for an amoire about 15 years ago. I used 1/4 oak plywood, and they have held up fine in daily service as an entertainment center. Actually, since the panel floats in the frame and adds no strength except resistance to wracking, I think the lighter panels help avoid strain on the rail & stile joints and on the hinges.

DonkeyHody "You don't really know a man until you have shared an inheritance with him." - Mark Twain

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Those sound very close to the dimensions of the doors I built for an amoire about 15 years ago. I used 1/4 oak plywood, and they have held up fine in daily service as an entertainment center. Actually, since the panel floats in the frame and adds no strength except resistance to wracking, I think the lighter panels help avoid strain on the rail & stile joints and on the hinges.

DonkeyHody "You don't really know a man until you have shared an inheritance with him." - Mark Twain

Reply to
DonkeyHody

We don't have a problem getting 1/2" oak veneer ply here but I've never seen 3/8". I've never looked for it though.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

I think "Norm" recently dealt with this problem by going thicker, and then thinning the edges so it fits in a 1/4" slot. Perhaps it was the 2nd fireplace episode.

Best of both worlds: Sturdy, and no sl> I am making two mission style rail & stile doors (21" x 75")

Reply to
root

Raised panel doors were originally designed to address this problem.

The 3/4" or 5/8" panel was raised and the raised part was on the hidden side.

I would use the easily available 1/2" ply and cut a rabbet to form a tongue that would fit the groove. Let the balance of the ply show towards the back, as they intended with the raised panel.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Dont rely on the integrity of the mighty oak. What are your weather issues? Lots of rain, chainge of climate, ect...

I like to build between bomb proof and reality. Do you want to do this again in three years or build a monster? By the way plywood will not hold up; cell cure, prime & painted, marine epoxy... Is this exterior?

There is some really nice 5/16 ply that could be routed if you have the means but again ply, if interior you should be good to go.

shoot me a line :

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

ShutUpAndFish

Master Builder

Cheers and good luck!!!

Reply to
rramos70117

I definitely agree with those who say to go with the thin stuff. The plywood adds no strength to the door; if you cut your slots properly it will not shake or wobble. But being lighter is a big asset. You could put in and intermediate rail, so you two 21"x 36" panels. I have done that on cabinet sides where I wanted extra strength. Since a door doesn't really need any strength I don't think it is necessary, but you could...

You want to be darn sure a long thin frame like that doesn't twist. I did a door about that size and it doesn't really close properly. It is on a utility cabinet, so I haven't lost any sleep over it.

Reply to
Toller

Tom,

My Mission entertainment center built 15 years ago utilized 1/"4 plywood in the large double doors. (see photos on website). While I did "skin" them with quartersawn veneer on both front and back, I do not think that made any difference. And contrary to other posts here in my opinion, since you are using STABLE plywood material, you CAN glue them in the frames. Every plywood panel door I have ever built including my entire new kitchen, I glued the panels for strength, stability and noise factor. The expansion of the rails and stiles in the home environment is minimal. It is the SOLID wood panels we worry about moving hence the reason not to glue then in the frame.

Good luck!

Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker

Dennis

I like 1/4" solid stock in mission doors.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Every show I've ever seen or book read, they let the plywood panel door float. I always thought this was mandatory, even with plywood. Apparently this isn't so, you say!!!!

Reply to
Tom H

Nope - it's not mandatory. I've done it for years with no problems and that includes cabinets in bathrooms that have HUGE swings in humidity.

Wood movement for inside furniture isn't nearly the issue that people make it up to be. The wood is sealed which really cuts down the ammount of moisture absorbed; and with today's climate control, there isn't all that much moisture to be absorbed for the extended period of time necessary to make the wood move.

Reply to
aquatic.imaging

With the exception of Birch plywood's like Baltic Birch I can honestly say that I have never seen hardwood veneer plywood in anything but "sold as"

1/4 and 3/4" thicknesses in the last 30 years in Houston. The thicknesses are probably available but probably at a premium price and special ordered.
Reply to
Leon

You can glue the panels in place HOWEVER, I have built both ways and get different results years later. With the floating panel the rails can expand in both directions. If the panels are glued in place that expansion tends to move in 1 direction and is twice as significant. About 17 years ago I gutted our kitchen an built all the cabinets. I used

3/4" plywood trimmed with 2" wide oak glued and reinforced with biscuits. All of the joints can be felt and seen "if you look close enough" at the ends where the rails have expanded or contracted with seasonal changes. Not a big deal, however this difference is much less significant when I use floating panels. I live in Humid Houston however the house has central air and heat and is not often left open to the outside humidity.
Reply to
Leon

With plywood panels why would you not glue it in to add more strength?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Well, to me it's sort of like whistling while you're making love. Everything can still be accomplished, but it's very bad form.

DonkeyHody "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Are these plywood panels or solid wood panels?

I would not expect noticeable expansion of a frame and panel door with a floating panel or with a plywood panel whether it floats or not.

With a solid wood panel I would only glue one long-grain edge and an inch or so of the adjacent corners, or not at all.

I'd have no qualms about gluing a plywood panel all the way around as I've had no problem doing that with plywood bottoms to chests and drawers.

Reply to
fredfighter