rail & stile width

Any consensus / standards on rail & stile widths for cabinet doors? Should they be the same, I've always made my rails wider than the stiles, but now I'm rethinking that. Fire away! TIA

Reply to
lucky4fingers

I read a piece a while ago where the guy writing said that 2" flats (2 3/8" per rail & stile uncut) was about the correct dimension for a balanced look. Unless your cutting curved top or bottom rails. This is what I've been going with. An exception would be door size per unit. A real small piece would have a narrower flat surface and an over size panel would be wider.

Just my 2 cents. Basically, it's what looks good to you and your end user.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

The size should be appropriate to the use. I have done 1" and 4". But they have always been the same.

Reply to
Toller

Rails and stiles are usually cut 2" plus the depth of the panel groove wide. This usually makes them either 2-1/4 or 2-3/8" wide - depending on whose router bits you use. The reason for making them that width is that it makes all of the calculations for door size easier - including the panel. If you need an inset door for a 16 x 24" opening and your cutter makes a 3/8 inch deep groove, the panel will be 16 - 4 = 12 wide by 24 - 4 = 20 long. And all of the sticks will be cut 2-3/8" wide. For offset doors, just add twice the offset dimension to the panel width and length. Jim Seelye

Reply to
seelyjv

Seems like a bizarre thing to let drive a design decision. If 2" looks right on a 12x18 door, so you really think it would look right on an

18x48" door?
Reply to
alexy

Most of the examples I have seen have the same width rails and stiles, or possibly slightly larger bottom rails.

Reply to
alexy
2 1/2" stiles and rails. Just an old convention around here, but there is no law.
Reply to
woodstuff

Reply to
seelyjv