Cabinet door gap

Can anyone give me some advise on cabinet doors? I am about to start some hickory rail & stile doors,but the 1/4 inch plywood I'm using for the panels is actually 3/16,leaving a gap.Any comments are appreciated.

Reply to
1ko

uh...

make the groove for the panels 3/16" instead of 1/4"?

sounds like a plan to me

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

OK, since 1/4" thick paneling disappeared some time ago, you need to learn to work with what you got. Are the rails and stiles being cut with a rail and style router bit set? Cut thin and narrow strips of wood to shim the back sides of the panels.

Reply to
Leon

Shim on the inside.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

My shaper cutters also cut at 1/4". If I use a plywood panel, I get 1/2" plywood and rabbet the inside to fit. If you have to use 1/4" ply, you can shim on the back. Alternately, you can put a little glue on the front part of the groove, put together the door, lay it upside down in the clamps and put a little weight to hold the panel down. If you have a pin nailer (23 ga.- 1/2"), you can tack it to stay down. Since it is plywood, you don't have to worry about expansion/contraction.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Reply to