Crib Hardware - Plastic or Metal ???

I'm going to make a crib for my first Grandchild. Have to be finished for August and would like some input on which system is in favor for the raising and lowering of the crib side. I grew up with the metal rod type crib but now see that there are plastic slide systems, both visible slides and hidden type slides. Found some kits from a firm called Products America. Anyone make a crib lately and what type of moveable system did you employ?? Where did you get the hardware?/

Thanks, Barry

Reply to
Barry Kwasny

My vote is for metal, especially bronze, if you can find it.

If you can find bronze, 100 years from now, it can still be in service.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm going to make a suggestion that is not a direct response to your question. When we were expecting our first child three years ago, we bought a crib without a moveable side at all. The front is somewhat lower than the back, but the mattress can be progressively lowered to prevent them from getting out. Personally, I like this style better than the one my parents have when we go to visit (now that I think about it, I think that may have been my crib when I was a wee lad). Theirs is the more standard kind with the front that goes up and down. I don't like putting a child in who you might have been working to get to sleep and then have to go fiddling around with the front and making noise getting it latched. We're on child #2 with it and we've been very happy with ours. You can see a picture of one that looks like it here

Also, ours can be converted to a toddler bed or a full-size bed. (And I mean it

*really can* be converted. I've seen some of these so-called convertible beds and I wonder how they survive as a crib they seem so rickety much less turning them into a regular bed. Ours is solid.) If you were really ingenious, you could figure out how to make it convertible as well.

todd

Reply to
todd

I built the one in rockler with the "arrow" slats that converts from crib to youth bed then a full size bed. Decidwed on plastic, quieter and fingers don't get caught.

Reply to
Paul Prunkel

I have made 3 cribs (so far)

First one was metal rods Second one used the plastic slides

3rd was plastic slides (requested by SWMBO) Both work fine - to me - the metal one is alot more sturdier - but the plastic on can be operated w/ 1 hand (while the other is holding the baby)

Reply to
Rob V

"todd" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

We used a cradle for the first six months or so, then a crib for a year before transitioning to a toddler bed. I don't believe we actually lowered the side of the crib once, so I too would probably look for a design without a lowering side. It's a hazard to the child and really not that useful a feature as long as the mattress can be progressively lowered as the child grows up.

-Derek

Reply to
Kiwanda