Hardwood edges arround veneered MDF/plywood)

I'd like to make some 3/4" doors using hardwood edges (probably red oak) arround a veneered MDF or plywood middle (glued solidly to the edges, not free floating as a raised panel).

How wide can the edges be before I run into seasonal problems?

Reply to
Drew Eckhardt

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:45:49 -0700, Drew Eckhardt wrote (in article ):

I've seen David Marks do this on WWorks. His frame was about 3" if I remember right. Look on diy.com for info

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

You will always have "seasonal problems" if the RH varies. The question is one of degree. You can determine the limits by consulting the tables at

one includes good information on seasonal movement.
way you overcome the problem is to plan for worst case and don't miter.

Reply to
George

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 07:33:09 -0500, "George" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

DAMHIKT. It simply pulls the whole thing to pieces. The only alternative that I can see is some sort of flexible material in the mitre joint, and make the joint quite wide.

Reply to
Old Nick