Making window sash+source for insulated glass

I am about to undertake the fabrication of 66 double-hung, 8 over 8, wooden window sash. I am hoping I might get some suggestions for the right species of wood. I am considering mahogany because I want them to last and I would prefer if I could find quarter-sawn for its stability, but I am open to suggestions as I am certainly going to pay a premium for the mahogany unless I find an acceptable alternative.

I will probably glaze with double strength glass in order to keep my muntins to the original size. Perhaps, however, there are some new types of insulated glass I might use that would allow me to use smaller muntins.. Any ideas? I would also need a source. Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bleau

Cypress of Vertical Grain Fir - Depending on local availability.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa