Making window sash question

I need to make 60+ pair of DH divided light (mostly 8 over 8) double hung sash. Having trouble finding the right wood. Any ideas? The only suitable wood I have been able to find in my area is mahogany (of dubious quality) for $5.00 bd. ft. How about cypress? Thanks. Joe

Reply to
Joe Bleau

D grade fir is what I would use. I've used it to replace Anderson awning sash.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Where are you located would have a fair amount of bearing, I'd think.

For that many, should be able to find 9/8 white pine prepared window stock from a millwork shop I'd think...a few years ago it was really hard to come by but I'd think it'd not be so tough these days.

--

Reply to
dpb

I've used western red cedar. You want a wood that's really stable, hence the red cedar or white pine recommendations.

I made 42 sash for my solarium using red cedar

Luigi Zanasi

I find that fir has better water resistance than cwp. Gulf Coast shrimpers use it in their boats. It's not as good as white oak. I'm going to make a replacement door for my front entrance and I intend to use qs white oak. It would be good for sash as well.

White pine is easier to work. Have you priced cwp lately?

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Couple years ago, yes. It wasn't much more in quantity than alternatives altho certainly not what it once was. I'd think that would have also improved somewhat, anyway.

White oak doesn't hold paint nearly as well, though, as does the cwp. And, again, depending on the application and area, it's probably/possibly the traditional choice if that has any bearing.

Fir is good but it ain't cheap, neither...at least here and despite being quite a lot closer to western than eastern sources, it's almost unobtainable locally.

--

Reply to
dpb

I've found fir 4x4's at two different Home Depot stores in Houston. They were in the heavy lumber part of the store.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Most old sashes were made from vertical grain old growth pine. Some were made from straight grained douglas fir or hemlock as well. Straight grained spruce ( think Sitka -like aircraft quality - think pricy). Some are also made of redwood or red cedar.

I'd go for number 1 clear pine, myself.

Reply to
clare

Google Hoffmyers - or just go to Hoffmeyersmill.on.ca They do windows across North America - high end restoration stuff.

Reply to
clare