Making a simple QSWO picture frame... (w/pics)

I'm tellin' the EPA....

Reply to
bridger

Hello everyone,

I started tonight on a simple quatersawn white oak picture frame for an oil painting on canvas I picked up in Cuba over Christmas.

I had to make a new frame to stretch the canvas over, (it was removed from the frame for transport)

a simple soft maple frame pocket screwed together.

I had some quarter sawn white oak I picked up a while ago and decided to make the actual picture from from it,

it is in clamps, about 1.75" wide, #10 biscuits at the corners. You can see the part of the biscuits protruding into the frame itself. They

will be trimmed later and not seen.

Here is a pic of sanding the entire frame flush with 240 grit,

stretched the canvas over the maple frame and secured it with tacks,

don't speak Spanish, but this tag was on the back of the canvas. I had to pay $2.00 for this tag in order to take it out of Cuba,

I am making the rebate in the back of the QSWO frame for the picture to fit into,

the best shot, but here I am squaring up the rounded corners of the rebate so the picture will fit in,

is a test fit of the picture in the frame. You can see the simple edge bead I put on the frame. Very simple, but I think nice,

for the scary part,

plan to fume this QSWO frame with blueprint ammonia. This is not for the faint of heart, many safety precautions need to be taken, this

stuff is dangerous. I am wearing an organic airfilter, googles and heavy acid gloves.

You can see the frame in a garbage can on a supporting frame. There is a glass pie plate in there onto which I will pour a pint or two of

ammonia.

put a garbage bag over the top (now side) of the garbage can to act as a gasket and I put the top on. It is well sealed now, as the lid was

tough to put on. I will leave the frame in there to fume for between 24-48 hours. I expect the frame to turn a dark chocolate brown, but the

ray flecks of the QSWO to remain light and luminescent, unlike the muddiness they would take on if the fram was stained.

pics in a few days when I take the frame out of the fuming chamber,

David.

David F. Eisan

Ah, one of my flavourite threads,

here I thought no one would remember, snif...

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

Very nice, David.

Wonder why you didn't miter the QSWO frame, however. I think it would've looked much nicer that way.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Because of the bead. I thought the end grain blow out of the itty bitty mitred corner would be terrible. Plus, it was easier and required less material.

David.

Reply to
David Eisan

cut the bead before the miters....

Reply to
bridgerfafc

How do I do that when the bead will cross the mitre from the vertical and onto the horizontal pieces?

David.

Reply to
David Eisan

cut the bead before the miters....

Reply to
bridgerfafc

miter all 4 corners was what I was thinking....

Reply to
bridger