Looking for a Motor

With the typical size drill press motor and the inexpensive replacement cost I'd tend to think the OP would have a very difficult time finding a motor repair shop willing to do the work. I've found the motor shops in my area unwilling to repair anything under 2HP.

Reply to
Nova

I'd check the contactors and cap, if present, before condemning the motor as dysfunctional. Also wiring, power switch, etc. Never jump to conclusions that will needlessly cost you money. Motor windings are pretty durable unless overloaded or immersed. Bearings, capacitors, and mechanical switches not so much.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

See

This is a 1HP model although they have larger HP models of the same type. It is a NEMA 56 frame which is very common (same frame as the original motor). It is essentially a bolt up with some minor fiddling and a minimum number of bad words used.

Free advice and worth every penny but I am happy with it. jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

As it turns out, the motor works fine. The motor just had some loose wiring and needed a bit of cleaning from sitting so long. My friend also apparently didn't know the wall outlet was never really hooked up, wires just sitting in there capped. Once we got all that done, the drill press ran fine. Now he wants to build a clamp and a couple of jigs but has no saw so it's going to be fun.

I'm now poking around myself looking for a second hand motor that I can set up to do some sanding and maybe grinding. Btw .. doesn't appear to be any repair shops around here anymore. At least not within

50 miles. Don't know about you but I'm growing tired of the disposable world.

Thanks! `Casper

Reply to
Casper

Actually, it turned out more like $56 with shipping.

The motor arrived this afternoon via UPS. Brand new, General Electric, from all appearances it had been in the box a loooong time (newspaper wrapping dated June 2000).

Took a couple of hours to get that puppy up and purring, and only one trip to the hardware store (two plastic machine screws used to space a shaft in a housing disintegrated upon removal ... luckily I found the thread match in a nylon machine screw at the hardware store that will hopefully server the same purpose over the long haul)

If you could have heard the noise it made before the heart surgery, you wouldn't believe the difference. Check it out:

Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

Well, that is the responsibility of being a good parent to your tools. You have to take care of them when they are sick.

Ya did good papa.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Thank you!

You know, I bought $2500 worth of Festool last week, and the most important/satisfying thing I've done recently was to resurrect that $289 retail tool for $56 ... go figure.

Reply to
Swingman