Looking for a good source for replacement motors

I'm looking to upgrade a motor on an older lathe and some other tools. I'm afraid I don't understand what the frame-types, numbers, compressor-rated, and other intricacies of electric motors are. And, what is a good brand, and where to buy? I don't want to spend a lot of money (who does), but I don't want to buy crap either. I'm looking for stuff in the 1-3 HP area, with standard belt drive and horizontal mounts.

tt

Reply to
Test Tickle

WW.Grainger

Reply to
Lewis Dodd

Harbor Fright sells 1-3hp motors that are cheap and of "reasonable" quality.

Check their website.

Reply to
Bruce Rowen

Look at

for some information.

Frame size is an industry standard for mounting bolt and shaft size. A 48 frame has 1/2" shaft, 56 frame has a 5/8" shaft. C frame is a front mount. You can find much of this information on their web page.

Check with a local motor re-builder also. Some can get good prices or have used motors around that may suite your needs. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
todd

Thanks alot. This solves the mystery of the frame numbers.

tt

Reply to
Test Tickle

If it's going in a woodworking shop, look for a TEFC (totally-enclosed fan-cooled) motor. Worth paying the extra.

Frame sizes are pretty standard. If it's mounted on a normal-looking foot or a flange, then chances are that it's standard. A catalogue from any toolshop should list the dimensions. Apart from some obscure machine-specific motors, mounting problems are unusual.

Ratings are generally as a percentage duty cycle. Most motors (that you want to use) are rated for 100% duty, but they will have a lower power at this rating than at 60% duty. Work this out for yourself, depending on what you're going to drive with it. 100% rating isn't a bad idea on woodworking machines, but then you rarely need to run the machine under full load. OTOH, a compressor always runs "flat out", but most don't need to run continuously.

While you're working on the motor, look at the switchgear too. European practice is a NVR (no-volt release) switch as a minimum (a contactor and two pushbuttons) and E-stops, overload relays and lockable isolators may all be appropriate in some environments.

Don't forget S/H, especially if you have 3 phase to hand. Big 3-phase motors are often bargains.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks for the great info.

tt

Reply to
Test Tickle

Reply to
BurlaT3

That's what we do at work.

At one time we used a commercial rewind shop, but that proved to be slower and considerably more expensive than simply getting a new motor from any of a dozen or so vendors.

The only time we use the rewind shop these days is when we cannot get a new motor anywhere.

As for WWG, we found them to be a good bit more expensive than some of the other commercial suppliers.

Maybe try Johnstone Supply; they're national now, albeit wholesale only. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Reply to
Fred McClellan

The problem with buying from Grainger is they have a secret price list for big customers and make it up on the walk in's

Reply to
Gfretwell

Grainger has published catalog prices. They do have discount schedules that apply to their larger volume customers also. Buy enough and you'll be able to negotiate a discount. Otherwise just order at catalog price...it's not a mystery and I've never seen any "make it up" pricing.

Phil

Gfretwell wrote:

Reply to
Phil

I just put a replacement motor on an old Craftsman 10" table saw. I got the motor from Harbor Freight, and it's working just fine so far... Things to consider when buying a motor are:

  1. input voltage (this one is 110/220)
  2. direction of rotation (this one is reversible, Clockwise or counterclockwise)
  3. Speed of rotation (this one is 3450 RPM, some are 1750)
  4. Frame type (this is a 56, more or less the "standard" for woodworking tools if there is such a thing!
  5. Power (this is a 1 hp, not the biggest you could use on a table saw, but no problems yet!
  6. price (.99, plus a .95 "handling fee", but free shipping on orders over . BTW, that price is down from the price *I* paid!

To see this item, go to

and enter 40132 into the item number search.

I have no connections to Harbor Freight other than as a satisfied customer, hope this info helps!

Reply to
nowhere