Liquid Nails Type Products Question

I am putting up 1" foam board on the cellar walls and have a question about "Liquid Nails" type products. The substrate is brick, our basement wall is field stone to the ground level and 24" of brick above that to the sill plate.

Years back (1976) I insulated a building by gluing foam board to the concrete block using an adhesive that called for putting globs of glue on the foam board, pressing the board to the wall, pulling back and waiting about 10 minutes. Then when the board was pressed back onto the wall it was THERE to stay. Great stuff!

I can't find that adhesive now. All the brands that H.D. and Lowes carry (and several of the local lumber yards) carry are the type that want you to press the board to the wall and brace or nail in place until the adhesive cures. Nailing is not an option on the brick wall and bracing is very awkward.

Any thought on where, or even if, that old type of contact adhesive is available? Or is every thing so "safe" now that it is gone for good.

Thanks,

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Technical High School Danielson, CT

New England Model Engineering Society

Reply to
Errol Groff

I used a polyurethane adhesive in a caulking gun cartridge that had a short bracing time and holds very well. I got it at Chase Lumber in Woodstock but I don't recall the brand. Aubuchon also carries some but the price is about double what Chase charges.

There was a TV add for one of the construction adhesives where they guy put the wood on a ceiling, hold it about 10 seconds and it is set. Anyone remember? The neighbor was banging away and this guy comes over and glues his hammer to the ceiling. Cute ad, but the brand escapes me.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Might have been Permatex Super something. The hammer demo was possible, but a little extreme in reality. I've used a bunch on projects for some months, and it does work fairly fast. The other Permatex version is more of a regular construction adhesive and a little cheaper. Most of the box stores should have it. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

RE: Subject

Talk to SikaFlex tech service in metro Detroit.

They have an 800#.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Be careful to read labels. Some of these contain chemicals which DISSOLVE foam board

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Use two adhesives: One, like contact cement, that's very aggressive and another, like Liquid Nails, that takes a bit to set but is otherwise permanent.

Reply to
HeyBub

I just installed some foam boards on my basement walls, and used "LocTite Instant Grab" foamboad adhesive. It worked pretty much as advertised.

I live in the middle-Atlantic area, and the HDs and Lowes carry it here.

Reply to
Perry Aynum

Also,I assume you know that you can't use the regular Liquid Nails on foam, as the solvents will burn through the foam. You need to use something rated for foam.

Reply to
Perry Aynum

Yeah, it's me again. You really should google (in quotes) "owens corning basement insulation system". The furring strips embedded in the channels hold the insulation in place and you really don't need adheisve. This is what I used..

Dow "Wallmate" is a similar product.

Reply to
Perry Aynum

Oops! Looked at the red tubes of adhesive at the project and they all are LocTite. My error. Whatever, pretty good stuff.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

be wary of the adhesive the big boxes sell for the foambaord... I used it in an attic, and the foamboard fell off after 6 months.... nail it up if you have to (furring strips

shelly

Reply to
sheldon.mandel

The key word was attic. They get really hot and will melt most glue.

Mart> be wary of the adhesive the big boxes sell for the foambaord... I used

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn