The Official Christmas Gift Gloat List

Ok, maybe that's a bit presumptuous of me, but no one had yet started one so I figured I'd get one going.

Jay Pique, a Neander in the making, got the Camber Roller Assembly for the Veritas MK2 Honing Guide.

'd laugh me out of the shop at work, but there's something about a hand-planed table-top that makes me feel good.

Reply to
Jay Pique

Ok, I got absolutely nothing in the way of woodworking gifts, but friends of mine presented my cat with a sisal cat scratching pad. Since my cat is inordinately difficult to buy for, I think this counts since my cat went absolutely nuts for it.

She's been rubbing and rolling on this scratching pad for the last ten minutes and I'm perfectly delighted that she's happy with it.

That counts for a gloat as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to
Upscale

There's a new Woodcraft store about 2 miles from my home that opened about three weeks ago. I've been to the store once for a total of about

30 minutes.

I found out this morning that the entire staff at the store now knows my wife by site and have my name memorized.

List to follow... ;-)

Reply to
Nova

for me!

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

I got the spokeshave shown on the link below.

don't where to keep the Allen wrench though. :-)

My daughter ordered it one day and it was delivered the next day. She bought herself a chip carving knife set. I now will go the lumberyard to buy some basswood for her. I guess she will need a workmate, or a small workbench....Hmmm!

I guess I know what my next project will be.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

You suck! And not just a little...

Enjoy!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Here's the list from memory.

Work Sharp WS 3000 Tool Sharpener Leather Honing Wheel for the WS3000 Forrest Woodworker II 30 Tooth 10" Standard Kerf Saw Blade Porter Cable 343VSK Variable Speed ROS

50 Pk - Norton 3X H/L 5" Sanding Disks - 120 Grit 50 Pk - Norton 3X H/L 5" Sanding Disks - 220 Grit 2 - 18" Bessey F-Body Clamps 2 - 24" Bessey F-Body Clamps Woodcraft 170 Piece HSS Twist Drill Bit Set Woodcraft 170 Brad Point Drill Bit Set Wixley Digital Angle Gauge Woodcraft "Wood River" 1/2" shank Router Bits: 1/4" Roundover Bit 1/2" Radius Core Bit 1/4" Straight Bit 5/32" Roman Ogee Bit 1/4" Cove Bit

If I left anything out I'll update the list. I was a bit overwhelmed this AM.

Reply to
Nova

Just out of curiosity, the Worksharp is similar in nature to the Veritas® Mk.II power sharpening system. Has anyone compared the two and decided which is better or more capable, etc?

Thanks

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale"

Not compared specifically to the veritas, but some other similar, fairly close sharpening systems, and a good review/read thanks to charlieb:

Swingman

My wife finally found my Lee Valley wish list. She and the kids emptied it out. Beats books and shirts any year. Medium Shoulder Plane, bevel gauge, new jaws for my lathe chuck, and shaper scraper blades for my Stanley 66. It is going to a good day in the shop tomorrow. I got a mini-gloat to boot. I found a solid mahogany hutch on desk on craigs list for free. It was poorly made and the wide panels were splitting because of crossgraining when they built it. I ended up taking it apart and salvaged about 30 board feet of mahogany. Not a bad couple of days lately.

Reply to
Glen

nice. I would have settled for that, but got a set of carving gouges this time. Either would be just the thing for idling away the minutes while the shellac sets up enough to coat the flipside. While populating my own gift to myself, a set of bookcases, I unearthed a large collection of books, including one of FWW's early 80's books on jointery. The shop's need for a set of shoji doors became suddenly clear. I like bashing rectangular holes in things just for the sake of bashing rectangular holes, even without any specific end goal in mind. The gouges serve a similar need, just without the same potential for a useful end product. ;)

Reply to
MikeWhy

Santa left me the new DeWalt plunge saw. Santa's helper hid the tracks (59" and 102"). Unbelievably and embarassingly she hid the

102" track in my small basement shop and I never saw it. She mixed it into a rack of about 100bf of red oak.

I have be wanting one of the track saws. Since I have a smallish shop, I usually cut down full plywood sheets before bringing them into the shop. Now that is going to be much better.

Reply to
Dave - Parkville, MD

I, for one, would be very appreciative if, at some point down the road, you gave a report on your track saw.

Robatoy

The bottom frames are rotted out on our garage doors. After probably

50 years who can complain. So I decided to build replacement frames. The garage is probably one good wind storm away from just lying down and giving up the ghost so new doors were not an option. I was thinking I "needed" a biscuit jointer for the project but finally decided to just dowel and gluel them together. I did the drilling for the dowels on a Bridgeport Mill, use what you got don't you know.

A day after I finished the drilling and gluing my wife presented me with a Ryobi Biscuit Jointer on Christmas day. Hmmm. What to do now. Swap if for something I am more likely to use or keep it for "just in case".

Actually it is an easy decision. I NEVER part with a tool.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Technical High School Danielson, CT

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Technical High School Danielson, CT

Errol Groff

Except, of course, for a parting tool!

Reply to
Greg Neill

I got one of those as a gift, sold it to re-tool (yes, I know) because I "needed" the cash. Two weeks later I got a job that needed the tool.

I'm in your camp, now. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Reply to
Pat Barber

That is quite a haul. That squarely puts you in the YOU SUCK category.

Reply to
Robatoy

That is quite a haul. That squarely puts you in the YOU SUCK category.

------ Heh. He's on the hook for wow'ing her with ... maybe a jewelry box or something.

Reply to
MikeWhy

I would like to see the Dewalt plunge saw & track review too. Dewalt is competing with Festool on this one and the price is high too. For me the easy decision would be Festool. Robb

Reply to
Knotbob