Recommendation Request for Chisel Honing Guide

What's the groups experience with honing guides for sharpening chisels (bevel edge woodworkers chisels)? Also, what's the best way to ensure that the chisel cutting edge will hone perpendicular to the side of the chisel? Any recommendations for a specific vendor/type?

Reply to
Philly

My faves are the current "MKII" Veritas or Kell.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I've used the Veritas Mark II for some time now and it keeps the bevel squared up pretty well if you're careful in your setup. Chisels narrower than 1/4" are, however, difficult to get clamped down in this guide.

Regards..

Tom

Reply to
Tom B

Some people here will tell you that getting a WorkSharp is the way to go for honing chisels and plane irons. I can't argue with that, but I don't have one. I hone all my iron with this:

I cannot say enough about it. It's easy to use, once you've done a few chisels. It's dead accurate and very repeatable. Once you've got your edge that you want, there is an adjustment on the side of the jig that allows you to add a microbevel.

There are a couple of limitations. No chisels narrow than 1/4" and I don't see a way to hone curved carving tools. Once you get the tool, you're tempted to get the attachments like skew and camber roller. I also have the camber roller for plane irons.

Regardless, this jig has given me the edges I want on most of the tools I own. Sharpening truly is a breeze. Hell, it's almost a joy.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

You can make one from 2 pieces of wood for a few bucks. I can't find the web page that describes it, but you use two pieces of wood, and some t-nuts and screws - to make a wide wooden clamp to hold a blade at a constant angle.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Slightly different take; there's an article in last FWW on how to learn to hold the angle consistent and thus do away w/ the need...

--

Reply to
dpb

HI, I use the mark II also... I really stink at sharpening, and this is the only way I can get a 1/2 decent edge. Don't get the cheap honing guide for about 10$ - it sucks, Also, don't sharpen by hand, unless you are really good at it, and practice a lot (I dcan never keep my hand at the same angle)

shelly

Reply to
sheldon.mandel

This is probably what you are talking about. I use one and it works great.

tiny:

Limp Arbor

Thanks for all of the great inputs. I now need to narrow in on a decision and go for it.

Reply to
Philly

actually, no. I'm referring to this:

one in your link looks MUCH better. Still, I don't know if I could use it :)

shelly

Reply to
sheldon.mandel

I have never used one, is this something I should have? usually if it is a chisel that is really chipped ( like one used for cutting metal and who knows what) I use a green stone on the tablesaw ( running at reduced speed) to give it a hollow grind, then keep it sharp by hand honing. I sometimes just fashion a simple jig to keep the blade angle close when grinding. Planes I just do by hand. figure 8's on the oilstone , or waterstone. It's the way dad always did it, he was a skilled cabinetmaker, but I am just a novice by comparison. Of course some of the available tools have changed. Iv'e done similar with the jointer blades. but I have hear of others sending them in to be sharpened.this might make them last longer buy not grinding excessively.

Phil

Reply to
philsvintageradios