links needed for compartmentalizing m/c screw lengths

At my home general work area I have plastic tins of fasteners of all types. When I need something I dump it out into a flat bottomed rectangular bucket. I can them as multiple sizes of wood screws, machine screws/bolts, nuts, washers, and (dozens of) other.

I want to organize each and every one of them into little compartments, so I'm doing a little work w/ an Excel spreadsheet. Just need a couple of pitch gages. I can buy these plastic compartments, or build my own cabinets. I'm trying to guess how much space in total I will need, so I build a cabinet(s) of plywood. When it comes down to it I will need the potential for a minimum of about 225 compartments. This may only be half or third, don't know yet, big guess. I now have about fifty. I am not going to sort first then make compartments, I'm going to allocate a space for a compartment first, then sort into the physical space. I also have a problem with buying units that will be basically unused. there is the other problem of labeling each used compartment, and labeling will help when trying to find something that can be used when searching. The least I can do is move around labels telling me ISO, 1st pref, 2nd pref, JIS, DIN, popular etc. for each. I think I'll need a mass cabinet, with 1" or 1-1/2" high plywood sides, and sliding innards

. This tells me the head types (Flat, Round, Oval). It gives possible lengths for these variables. Its nice b/c it gives popularity too. For me, I started sizing at #4, and went to #14. I started length at 1/4, and went to 5". When you're gonna have hundreds of compartments, who's gonna leave out a few. This is 82 compartments. That is with bulking all of the head types together. There are obviously different materials (steel, SS, brass, etc.) that would have to be bulked too.

When I'm done I'll posts results

I have done a preliminary search for machine screw standard lengths (metric and inch) but have so far not been able to find any standard charts similar to this one for wood screws for machine screws UNC/UNF/UNEF/UNS, ISO coarse(std) & fine/SI coarse(std) & fine/JIS/DINcoarse(std) & fine. I have already covered ALL inch and metric dia and pitch. BUT I do not have any links to anything to help me with the LENGTHS possible. Anybody got any links?

Its Sunday again

Reply to
bent

I'm actually just itching to build a cabinet and get this out of the way. I'm sure there are more of you. I guess I can get Machinery's Handbook.

Just for reasonable wood screws sorted by size and length needs (3) 6x5 plastic drawers compartments cabinets a foot wide, 1.5' high, by depth . Thats a lot of space considering there is the same for inch, then metric m/c screws. Then nuts, washers, nails, etc. Actually washers will prob. just get one big drawer to pull out, which can be transported.

But on the other hand, if I were to make a cabinet smaller than the size of a tool box top chest, say 24" wide, and 16 columns, each 1.5" wide, and 5 rows deep. Thats 80. And five deep is OK for things starting at 1/4" and going up from there. Or I can keep cans forever.

I am thinking 1/2" plywood sides w/ a groove for a whiteboard bottom,and slide on a groove to remove ~1-1/2" high trays/drawers.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A CLUE HOW TO IMPLEMENT MOVABLE COMPARTMENT SIDES? Maybe clear plastic. How to affix these!!??

I know there are alot of you with much greater needs, but I thought I could post my results with an explanation, and the online resources.

Reply to
bent

Actually no need for anything but a rabett for the drawer bottoms. That would just waste space, and if I can get them close enough together, they can be stackable and prevent things from geting loose and jumping out the sides.

Reply to
bent