LI Woodworker's Show

I went to the LI Woodworker's Show today via a bus trip with other members of the Northeastern Woodworkers Association.

It was a nice show! There were plenty of vendors there to drain the funds from your wallet and I saw some good prices on big iron. The items made by club members were interesting to review also... I even saw a piece that was entered in the same category as my chest of drawers at Woodworker's Showcase last month! It never occurred to me to enter the chest in the LI show but I suppose the logistics of getting it there and back would have been quite a challenge. I'm not sure how far it is in miles but it took us about 3 hours of drive time to get there from my Mid-Hudson location on the bus. Making a six + hour round trip a couple of time in three days would have taken all the fun out of it!

Personally, I enjoy going to the seminars at these shows. The one today by Mario Rodriquez, "Transitional Corner Chair" was very interesting. Using a corner chair as his model he explained a lot about the details that make a piece of furniture interesting and well made... the details that the judges look for when they judge items at shows. It was the kind of information that I can use while constructing future pieces.

If there's a bus trip next year and the timing works out I anticipate going to the show again. I'd recommend dropping by Sunday 4/18 if you have the time.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

John, Thanks for the great review, we work hard on our Show just like your Club does. The Show came out very well and we are proud of it. Everyone should come and see it.

Reply to
SawdustJoe

I think the solution to that is to get a motel room. There's no way I would commute 3 hours twice a day for a weekend.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I attended yesterday (Saturday) and thought the show was excellent. There were more vendors than in previous years and more speakers as well.

My c>I went to the LI Woodworker's Show today via a bus trip with other members

John Carlson

John,

As a member, thank you for the kind words! You are always welcome here on the island as you guys have always made us welcome up in Saratoga.

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

I think both shows were excellent this year. Clearly a lot of thought and effort went into putting them together. Despite being put on by non-profit fraternal organizations I think they were better than the Woodwork Show in Springfield, MA in some ways, e.g, more vendors, better presentation isolation, and the work of club members on display. Woodwork had their presentation area very close to a bandsaw mill and a Feldor exhibit and the noise was awful--very difficult to hear the presenters. It seems to me that keeping the presentations somewhat isolated from the noise of the show shows more respect for the presenters, and the audience, than subjecting both to the sound of PA systems and power tools.

There are a couple things I'd like to see different at both shows: One is to have more member projects on display--it seems like a lot of members are reluctant to display their work. The second is to provide feedback to the exhibitors that desire it so that they have an understanding of what made their piece better, or worse, than others. Both of these items may need a global mindset change--exhibiting should be treated like a learning experience instead of purely as a contest. Of course I realize that putting the product of one's self on display and inviting criticism isn't for everyone! ;-)

Perhaps a panel presentation by the judges on what makes a good piece of furniture, turning, etc. (not just the technical but the art), would make a good presentation at both shows! Mario Rodriquez tapped into that discussion a bit and it left me wanting for more...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

John, that is the toughest part of the hsow, from my point of view (I was one of the exhibit managers, along with Mike Daum and Karl Blessing), and getting exhibitors is always tough. I am always surprised to find out how many people don't want their work judged. Interestingly, you never know how judges perecieve things. And to find out what the judges think, you need only ask. They were glad to let you know,and invariably in kind and educating ways.

Reply to
DarylRos

Daryl,

Just want to thank you guys for all your hard work... it was well worth it. And thanks for moving it closer to the city. :-)

DarylRos wrote:

Charlie LegMan (remove 999 for eMail)

Reply to
LegMan

I wonder if part of the problem is that folks are doing woodworking projects that don't lend themselves to exhibition? For example, we've got guys making things like Kitchen cabinets... tough to drag a kitchen into the exhibit! Others make utilitarian items for home and shop use. And quite a number of in the early stages of beginners and aren't really making anything but their shop.

I also wonder if some are reluctant to exhibit for fear of damage or theft. I cannot blame them for their concern... my chest got a ding in the side somewhere along the line at Showcase. I heard guys at our last meeting discussing how visitors routinely ignored the "do not touch" signs and one exhibitor mentioned that he saw a woman's purse nail a couple of his turnings.

Regarding speaking with the judges, I did manage to speak with one of them at Showcase but it wasn't near my chest of drawers... Needless to say I didn't press him for comments on the details of my work. Rather I spoke with him about the "art" side of furniture as compared to the "mechanical" side. It was a great conversation in and of itself but I'd still have liked specific critical feedback.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

That is part of it I guess. Several of my pieces are built ins in my house.

No, they did not ignore them John. They did not touch the sign at all I'll bet.

Reply to
DarylRos

For sure that is all they didn't touch!

Reply to