Krunchy unmasked? Maybe.

I may have discovered the real identity of Krunchy (the Pirate). Because he has some talent with computers and the Internet, I am woosing-out, as it were, by using this fake ID myself, I do not have the time to engage in some protracted war with this guy.

Here is what I found: While almost all of his .rar posts seem to come from a professional compilation of Shopnotes (perhaps they once sold back issues on CD-ROMs), the postings of issues 73-75 are different, they were done as single issues. All of the underlying files are in Adobe pdf format.

Issue 75 seems to have been scanned by hand -- sort of neander-scanning. And, while there is no info that I could find identifying a person in any of the other pdf files (I'm an amateur, not an NSA whiz), in issue 75 there is a person named as "Author".

Because Krunchy used different names when posting here and at ABPW, including at least once the name of someone who we know as a regular here, I am not going to actually write here the name I found in the pdf file as the "Author", because it may be a case of identity theft. But, if you download the appropriate files he posted at alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking for issue 75 you can see for yourself who it SEEMS to be.

Based on some basic googleforensics, the person named as the Author in issue 75 could be the actual Krunchy. This person has posted here a number of times in the past according to a Google Groups search, but not in about 6 months or more. Also, by Googling the name listed as Author, I found someone with the requisite skill to have done all of this, including some of his tech references and the ROT13 encoded text. But AGAIN, the APPARENT Author may not be the actual perpetrator. While it would be good to unmask Krunchy, I would not want to in any way incorrectly point at someone.

If Krunchy wanted to point the finger at someone else, why he would have taken the name of someone who has not posted here in so many months to list as the Author, rather than taking the name of someone who posted an objection to his efforts as a "payback", I have no idea. My hunch is that Krunchy just slipped up. I could be wrong. It's happened 1 or 2 times before, so I am told.

Anyway, FYI, y'all.

HB

Reply to
Hector Blusterman

The person whose name appears in the PDF of #75 posted back in July that they had almost finished collecting every issue of ShopNotes and were looking for 5 to complete the set.

That's pure circumstantial evidence, however. It's possible that "Krunchy" did a quick Google for "ShopNotes" and pulled that name at random.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Also possible that the Author scanned it and the guy who put it on the web bought it, traded for it or the author gave it to him.

-j

[...]

Krunchy

Quite so. And as I'm not terribly worried that there are any consequences to doing so, the name that appears in the "Author" field of that particular PDF is "Joe Emenake".

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

talent with computers and the Internet, I am woosing-out, as it were, by using this fake ID myself, I do not have the time to engage in some protracted war with this guy.

V jbhyq uneqyl pnyy vg n jne ...rfcrpvnyyl jura lbh naq 20 bs lbhe sevraqf qba'g fgnaq n fabjonyyf punapr va uryy bs jvaavat.

professional compilation of Shopnotes (perhaps they once sold back issues on CD-ROMs), the postings of issues 73-75 are different, they were done as single issues. All of the underlying files are in Adobe pdf format.

so what you are saying is that you downloaded the files !!! have you no shame !!! what about all that copy write stuff and the fact that you will surely go to hell?? We won't even talk about the fact that you have all at once been killfiled by the resident ayatollahs.

least once the name of someone who we know as a regular here, I am not going to actually write here the name I found in the pdf file as the "Author", because it may be a case of identity theft. But, if you download the appropriate files he posted at alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking for issue 75 you can see for yourself who it SEEMS to be.

Fbeel gb ohefg lbhe whavbe qrgrpgvir ohooyr ...be fubhyq V fnl cbc lbhe pureel... ohg V whfg hfr gur bar anzr. Vs lbh yrnearq gb ernq gur urnqref lbh jbhyq unir svtherq gung bhg ybat ntb....uzzzz unir V whfg tvira lbh n pyhr...?? anuuu lbh ner fgvyy pyhryrff

could be the actual Krunchy. This person has posted here a number of times in the past according to a Google Groups search, but not in about 6 months or more. Also, by Googling the name listed as Author, I found someone with the requisite skill to have done all of this, including some of his tech references and the ROT13 encoded text. But AGAIN, the APPARENT Author may not be the actual perpetrator. While it would be good to unmask Krunchy, I would not want to in any way incorrectly point at someone.

name of someone who has not posted here in so many months to list as the Author, rather than taking the name of someone who posted an objection to his efforts as a "payback", I have no idea. My hunch is that Krunchy just slipped up. I could be wrong. It's happened 1 or 2 times before, so I am told.

holy shit !!! you are hot on the trail !!!! BWAhahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Reply to
Krunchy