Kreg Rip-Cut Circular Saw Guide

On Monday, January 2, 2017 at 10:20:06 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

That's a great idea, but it doesn't answer the original question:
Is the Kreg Rip-Cut Circular Saw Guide any good?
While just about any homemade straightedge will work (some better than others) it still requires that you clamp the guide perfectly straight, etc. Doesn't the Kreg guide come with the advantage of a built-in edge guide to ensure parallel edges, especially for multiple cuts of the same size?
Of course, the more important question is: Does it come with any built-in *disadvantages*, such as not really following the edge, i.e. drifting, poor saw clamping mechanism, hard to use ruler, etc?
I'm not pushing back on any of the tried and true straightedge methods, many of which I've used for years, I'm just wondering if the Kreg jig offers any advantages for repeat cuts considering it's only $30.
The first thing that comes to mind is it's size. For those of us with small shops and limited storage, storing an 8' guide is problematic.
On 1/3/17 7:48 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

A couple of things from just looking at it. The saw is always attached to the Kreg making it tedious to remove to do other cutting. The Festool slides on and off its jig with ease.
The Kreg looks to be a two-handed operation. With a clamp on straight-edge, you only need one hand on the saw.
The Kreg relies on the straightness of the stock being cut to provide a straight cut. While it may seem great for repetitive cuts, the slightest imperfection can be amplified on the next cut and each successive cut. A clamp on guide is straight every time, no matter what is being cut. That is probably the main advantage I see to the clamp on straight-edge.
For rough carpentry, I think the Kreg is very, very nice, especially for 30 bucks.
--

-MIKE-

On 1/3/2017 7:48 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The Kreg built-in straight edge is only as good as the plywood edge is straight. If the edge is not perfect that edge will be telegraphed to the cut. I also have reservations that the edge does not extend forward any more than it does. If it hits a rough spot on the plywood edge I think the saw would tend to veer towards the outer edge of the plywood. It probably will work good on a straight and smooth edge.

See above.

I'm betting that if you are not satisfied that you can return it. ;~)

On Monday, January 2, 2017 at 1:19:32 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:

Bob,
Invest in a tracksaw, if you have the dough. I have the Kreg and its so lim iting. I would use it to rough cut and then finish up at the tablesaw. In f act, I often do that with my track saw and I own the Festool saw. Getting " nuts on" parallel can be tricky anyway you go. But the Festool and any othe r track saw, is so much better. Good luck.
MJ

I do thesame with my track saw, not so much for parallel sides as consistency. I feel better making all the like-sized cuts with a fence (without moving it).
On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 14:19:25 -0700

material up to 24 inch wide so not too good for full sheets
On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 4:27:09 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

There were 2 lines that go together:
Cut materials up to 24" (610mm) wide Rip sheets of plywood in half in just one cut
So, good for ripping a full 4 x 8 sheet into two 2 x 8 sheets, minus the kerf, of course.
Not so good for crosscutting a full 4 x 8 sheet into two 4 x 4 sheets.
Which do you think is done more often?
On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 14:19:25 -0700

looks like anything blue on kreg stuff is plastic at least the ones i looked at
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 15:13:59 -0800, Electric Comet

There is something wrong with plastic?
On Monday, January 2, 2017 at 3:19:32 PM UTC-6, Bob La Londe wrote:

Late reply to this post, but I just attempted to use a Kreg guide to make n ine 6" wide slices from a 5'x5' sheet of 1/2" Baltic Birch. By the time I got to last cut I had a noticeable bow in the piece. After checking all 9 pieces with a straight edge I found that each piece was successively more b owed. Total waste of a sheet of birch. As was noted in an earlier comment - the Kreg will amplify any edge imperfection. I'll go back to using a cla mp-on straight edge.