kreg pocket hold question

I'm planning on attached a 3/4 inch thick support piece (under table) to so= me 1 3/4 cherry. Will the standard length kreg screws be sufficient? I'd = like to skip the trip to the store. Also will be attached some 1 3/4 squar= e stretchers and again plan on using kreg screws and glue. If I use a 2" s= crew, do I need to adjust the depth of the hole? Also, I only have coarse = thread screws in the longer dimension. I know kreg recommends fine thread = for hardwood. Any big downside on coarse thread?

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

some 1 3/4 cherry. Will the standard length kreg screws be sufficient? I'= d like to skip the trip to the store. Also will be attached some 1 3/4 squ= are stretchers and again plan on using kreg screws and glue. If I use a 2"= screw, do I need to adjust the depth of the hole? Also, I only have coars= e thread screws in the longer dimension. I know kreg recommends fine threa= d for hardwood. Any big downside on coarse thread?

If I understand your project, I think it would work fine. I use the Kreg s= crews for a lot of purposes other than pocket joints. In fact, they are a = pretty economical utility screw.

I have had bad luck using the coarse screws for face joints in hardwood. D= riving the coarse screws that close to the surface has resulted in cracks a= nd an occasional blow-out. If you are going straight down into the hardwoo= d you will probably be OK but you might want to test on a piece of scrap fi= rst.

Reply to
RonB

I would use 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" fine for your first above, but you can certainly use a bit longer screw to go into the 1 3/4" stock for some extra strength. When attaching two different wood thicknesses you generally use the thinner thickness to set the jig to drill the holes, and a screw length that gets you enough strength without going completely through the receiving stock. As far as coarse or fine, use the type designated for where most of the threads will be engaged.

Reply to
Swingman