Kreg screws

I have a good assortment of the 1.25 inch Kreg screws in both coarse and fi= ne thread. I'm affixing a 1 by 2 support piece to 1.75 thick cherry and wo= uld like to get a stronger bite. Plenty of depth for 1.5 or 1.625 length s= crews, but I am having difficulty finding them in fine thread. What's the = downside of using coarse thread in hardwood?

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

thread. I'm affixing a 1 by 2 support piece to 1.75 thick cherry and would like to get a stronger bite. Plenty of depth for 1.5 or 1.625 length screws, but I am having difficulty finding them in fine thread. What's the downside of using coarse thread in hardwood?

The down side would be splitting the wood.

Reply to
Leon

thread. I'm affixing a 1 by 2 support piece to 1.75 thick cherry and would like to get a stronger bite. Plenty of depth for 1.5 or 1.625 length screws, but I am having difficulty finding them in fine thread. What's the downside of using coarse thread in hardwood?

I'm having trouble imagining your geometry, but I found the screws here:

Greg Guarino

d fine thread. I'm affixing a 1 by 2 support piece to 1.75 thick cherry an= d would like to get a stronger bite. Plenty of depth for 1.5 or 1.625 leng= th screws, but I am having difficulty finding them in fine thread. What's = the downside of using coarse thread in hardwood?

Thanks ... I need 8, not 1,000.

Reply to
Gramp's shop

A weaker bite.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

fine thread. I'm affixing a 1 by 2 support piece to 1.75 thick cherry and would like to get a stronger bite. Plenty of depth for 1.5 or 1.625 length screws, but I am having difficulty finding them in fine thread. What's the downside of using coarse thread in hardwood?

> Thanks ... I need 8, not 1,000.

To that I can only say that I ordered 2000 Kreg screws all told - three different sizes and styles - and remarked here that that was "more than I'd ever need". Several people chuckled, even knowing that I'm an occasional weekend "woodworker" at best. In a couple of months I've gone through over 100. They're pretty handy, even in non-pocket applications. And it looks like that style and size may be hard to find.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I have probably purchased 5 times that many over the years and will agree that you can't have too many, so to speak. I probably use pocket hole screws for other uses 80% of the time. The Kreg pocket hole screws are superior screws that meet many more needs than just being used in pocket holes.

Reply to
Leon

fine thread. I'm affixing a 1 by 2 support piece to 1.75 thick cherry and would like to get a stronger bite. Plenty of depth for 1.5 or 1.625 length screws, but I am having difficulty finding them in fine thread. What's the downside of using coarse thread in hardwood?

>Thanks ... I need 8, not 1,000.

If they're the same type 17 tips, you probably won't have a problem with splitting the wood. I'd sure want to use a screw lube on them, though.

-- Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a heavy burden. Which is why so few people have them. So few people can handle it. -- Hugh Macleod

Reply to
Larry Jaques

+1
Reply to
Swingman

thread. I'm affixing a 1 by 2 support piece to 1.75 thick cherry and would like to get a stronger bite. Plenty of depth for 1.5 or 1.625 length screws, but I am having difficulty finding them in fine thread. What's the downside of using coarse thread in hardwood?

Here you go, fine thread Kreg pocket hole screw in box of 100. $4.99. 5 cents each.

Leon

fine thread. I'm affixing a 1 by 2 support piece to 1.75 thick cherry and would like to get a stronger bite. Plenty of depth for 1.5 or 1.625 length screws, but I am having difficulty finding them in fine thread. What's the downside of using coarse thread in hardwood?

> Thanks ... I need 8, not 1,000.

Try here:

Greg Guarino

thread. I'm affixing a 1 by 2 support piece to 1.75 thick cherry and would like to get a stronger bite. Plenty of depth for 1.5 or 1.625 length screws, but I am having difficulty finding them in fine thread. What's the downside of using coarse thread in hardwood?

Lube them with wax and nothing. Don't and they might not make it in. Although most cherry is not that hard, not like maple.

fine thread is a staple for Kreg...

Reply to
tiredofspam

Actually Kreg fine thread screws only go up to 1.5". To go longer you have to go with a coarse thread, longer coarse threaded screws are more for the softer thicker construction grade materials.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, but he said 1.5 was good, thats a regular item.

Reply to
tiredofspam