KMT-9 - a waterbased laquer replacement - made for brushing on

A luthier (mainly a guitar maker) told me about a new water based laquer replacement - that is a brush on - which rivals laquer - levels really well, builds fast, dries fairly fast and is tough. It's call KMT-9. Not inexpensive - #38.75 a quart. But if you don't have a spray gun - compressed or HVLP - this stuff is said to give you the same quality finish - off a brush.

Scroll down to the KMT-9 mini-article then click the link for more info and details.

Anyone used KNT-9? Feedback?

Reply to
charlieb

40 bucks a quart? Sounds like some good stuff, but...ouch. R
Reply to
RicodJour

Interesting stuff, charlieb.

I noticed one line, when I RTFA, and that was this one:

"Luthier Mike Doolin says about KTM: It dries really hard and really clear, can accept water or alcohol-based dyes for tinting and colors, and rubs out to a high gloss. It builds, self-levels and >>>>burns into itself well

Reply to
Robatoy

I have a fairly high end (6k) custom built acoustic guitar that was finished with KMT-9. It's a beautiful finish. The fellow who built it for me uses that stuff exclusively. He loves it.

Reply to
salty

SFWIW:

Same price level as a decent marine varnish.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I've used it on four or five of the guitars and basses I've built. Mostly on bodies, since I use a satin wipe-on polyurethane (Minwax, actually) on the necks these days. Nice to work with, takes a polish well, and really hard and durable as others have said. The first instrument I used it on was my 12-string guitar, where it has held up really well for 2-1/2 years so far, no sign of wear yet. I used on the body and neck in that case. See my post on RBPW for pictures of three of the instruments. These days it's what I use for high-gloss finishes unless the customer specifically asks for nitrocellulose lacquer.

--Steve in Roseville

Reply to
Steve