Hand rub Laquer?

Just finished two coats with light sanding between, Do I need more coats? Also what is rubbing out the finish? Newbe to spraying finish with an HVLP gun. Thanks, Tim

Reply to
<tdevery>

Rubbing out the finish is a method of adjusting the sheen of a finish. I usually start with 0000 steel wool, followed by pumice (comes in different grades) when shooting for a glossy finish.

You will need more coats than just two. If not enough coats you will cut through your finish to the wood and you will need to start all over again.

Get this book:

stoutman

Musical instruments can take 20 coats or more to achieve the high finish. Rubbing with pumice and rottenstone with mineral oil on a felt pad refines the surface after each coat. Put on as many coats as it takes to satisfy you. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

"stoutman" wrote in news:U7otf.4894$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com:

Also, lacquer does not need to be sanded between coats. The coat being applied partially dissolves into the coat below. That process, as well as the fast drying time, allow you to spray many coats fairly quickly. I usually wait about 30 minutes between coats. I put the spray gun in a cool place out of the sun while waiting and only clean it at the end of the session.

-G

Reply to
High Score

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:43:38 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, quickly quoth:

Yea, about 30 ought to do it.

Get Andy Charron's book on spray finishing "Spray Finishing", Tim. If it's not in your library,

has it for $11-14:

Spray Finishing or
for Water-Based Finishes

Rubbing out is using fine sanding/rottenstone/pumice, and lots of elbow grease to make the finish absolutely smooth and glossy. For the non-purists, automotive rubbing compound isn't unheard of, either. All those are for folks who like super glossy finishes.

Full-Service Web Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Agreed, but IF you get trash in the finish, a light sanding will take care of it. That's far better than adding layer after layer of laquer over the trash.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Thanks for all the replys. Sides turned out nice. Might have too shoot the top again, to rub it out. Cabinet is Ash with quarter-sawn Cherry top and side inserts

Reply to
<tdevery>