Just finished a hardware storage cabinet

I decided it was time to organize my screws and small hardware, so I built a storage unit for them. It is kind of an apothecary cabinet style. I've posted pictures in a.b.p.w or you can see it here:

Mark Blum

hey would you mind sharing what sorting method you thought of? I got a big bucket worth of fasteners. 10 lbs worth of nails alone. jugs galore. 50 bins It would be nice if I could say a place for everything and everything in its place. The mind boggles! Nice work btw.

Reply to
bent

your hands! However, it is a GREAT idea and I plan to steal it as soon as time permits! Nice work.

Dave

Teamcasa

I'd like to start a thread on this. How to logic this up? Start with something common to all, and lastly individuals. Not vise versa, or maybe. Then again....

Reply to
bent

pigeon holes and pink flamingos. I hate the other cabinet over there syndrome.

Reply to
bent

Mark,

Wonderful job!!! Any hints on the supplier for the plastic boxes?

Trace

Reply to
Trace Wilson

Mark,

Wonderful job!!! Any hints on the supplier for the plastic boxes?

Trace

Reply to
Trace Wilson

Thanks Dave. Not quite obsessive-compulsive, but I do like to have an organized shop. I had a few days off and wanted to tackle a project that would fit the timeframe. I've had the plastic boxes for a few months, so I decided to finally begin this one.

-Mark

Reply to
Mark Blum

Thanks. I'm not sure if there is anything special about the sorting method, just a different box for each size screw. It probably wouldn't work all that well for large quantities of single sizes. But I have lots of different size screws and misc. hardware in relatively small quantities (one or two boxes each), so I wanted a method for organizing them.

-Mark

Reply to
Mark Blum

Thanks Trace.

I found several places on-line that carried similar boxes. You can search for "flex-hinge" plastic boxes. I purchased mine from a company called Tap Plastics:

aren't that expensive and come in multiple sizes.

-Mark

Reply to
Mark Blum

complete slob. Most of my fasteners are in half-gallon milk jugs with a hole cut in the side.

Organized? Well, there's mostly screws and bolts in that one...

-Phil Crow

Reply to
phildcrowNOSPAM

I found some of those plastic hanging bins that fit a 1-lb box of nails/screws/whatever. Since that's what I buy almost exclusively, I just drop the box into the bin, label the front, and when I empty the box, I buy another one. The bins all ride in rails so it's easy to move them around and sort by size if you want and you never have to dig through a pile of boxes or worse, a can of random screws and nuts and nails, to find what you want.

Reply to
Brian Henderson