Jointer getting louder

I have a Grizzly 6" 1HP Jointer (model G1182), that's getting louder by the day. I'm not sure if the additional noise is coming from the cutter head bearings or the motor. It does appear that the motor "Spins Down" much faster then it used to and comes to an abrupt stop when I turn it off.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

R-

Reply to
Rich Woodfin

Remove the belt, spin the pulley's by hand - which one feels like it has grit in it? Power it up and see if the motor makes any strange noises and see how it spins down.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Check the set screws that keep the pulleys tight. A similar problem happened to my bandsaw at one time and I found the cause was a loose motor pulley.

Reply to
Howard Ruttan

Your problem sounds exactly like what I had with my Delta...bad noise and abrupt shut-off

Easy check will be to look at the inside of the lower pulley/belt cover. If it "aint painted" anymore, that means your pulley has lost its grip. Dunno about the Grizzy but in my case the fix was as simple as ignoring the set-up instructions and installing the lower pulley "hub-in" instead of "hub-out" so I could get a proper straight-line between the upper and lower pulleys (was impossible with the Delta instructions that left just a bit of metal for the set-screws to bite in to).

Since Delta/Jet/everybody else seem to come from the same Asian factories, you may want to give it a try. You will need a gear puller to get it done without wreckning the shaft and pulley.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Another option is to remove the motor from being mounted on the stand and to hang off of a wooden vertical platform.

Sort of like a big and wide sliding dovetail made out of plywood. Motor is mounted on the moving part, with the keys on the stationery part starting just a bit higher than the length of the motor platform. This allows the motor platform to be placed under the keys and then lifted up into position.

The weight of the motor provides the tension for the belt. Secure the vertical platform to the stand via some bracing. This would only be good for smaller motors =< 1.5 HP.

Depending on the clearance inside the stand, you might be able to move the motor over laterally to put the pulley on as per the instruction booklet.

Dropped the decibels here from *having* to wear ear protection, to

*not necessary* anymore (but still do because other stuff is running).

YMMV

Reply to
Mo' Sawdust