Size of motor for 6" jointer

Hi,

I have a 6" jointer that needs a motor. The manual does not talk about the horsepower required for the jointer but it does say that it needs to run at about 4000 rpm. It states that I can take a motor that runs at 1725 and put a 7" pulley on it to get the 4000 rpm.

I have a 1/4 horsepower motor running @ 1725 rpm lying around. Is it too underpowered for this jointer?

Thanks

Alex

Reply to
Alex Colic

Alex wrote:>Hi,

1/4 horse would be underpowered, especially if you aim to use the jointer's full width capacity. Find a 1.5 or better with 110/220 V. Tom Work at your leisure!
Reply to
Tom

Jet and Delta use a 1 HP motor on their jointers. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

how old is your 1/4HP? if it's old enough to be repulsion/induction it may well be enough. if it's more modern it will likely be too small.

I think if I had it and a 7" pulley just lying around I'd try it. if I had to buy the pulley I'd probably just go buy a bigger motor.

Reply to
bridger

1hp would be more like it, IMHO.

If I'm buying new motors (terrible practice, I know !) I find that

2hp are about the cheapest price break.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Wilson

I have a 50's era 6" jointer with a 3/4hp powerkraft motor from the same period. It works for full width but I have it set for a pretty light cut which might make the difference, just under 1/32" if I remember correctly. Balanced pulleys and a link belt really smoothed it out and might transfer power better because I can push the stock through a little faster now.

MT

Reply to
Tripper

Sounds like you have an old American Machine and Tool jointer. They came with two pulleys, 7" for a1725 rpm motor and a 2" I think for

3450 rpm motor. Motor did not come with jointer. 1/2 hp will run this jointer easily. Very good machine if it's a AMT. Most of their power tools were of okay quality, jointer is much better than average quality. When you need blades 5/8"x1/8"x6" standard cutters are needed. Everyone sells this size.My jointer is over 30 years old and still performs like a champ with a 1/2hp motor. mike
Reply to
mike

I have a 6" jointer that is in need of a motor. I found a deal on a 2hp 3450 rpm motor. My jointer is old and very heavy cast iron. I cant find a brand or numbers. I'm wondering if this motor I'm looking at would be over powering it? I have 2 3/4" pulley for the motor and I'm not sure what size is on cutter head.

Reply to
danny